setting up a goat 101 needed

Discussion in 'Show Circuit' started by StaceyRosado, Nov 11, 2007.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    My goal is to take Sweet Pea to a show this year and I am freeked out about it but I don't want me fear of not having shown before get in the way of showing and make me not show.

So I need a mentor really but in the mean time I wanted to know if anyone could help me with my skittish goat.

Sweet Pea is not so sweet and lovey. She hates being handled and I am trying to get her use to me but I don't have a lot of time during the day. I am still trying though.

I have tried to set her up and even just handle her legs and such but she wants NOTHING to do with it and lays down or crouches or even sits! :hair:

I need some pointers on how to work with her without upsetting her.

Anyone? I am new to everything and I know I made a mistake on choosing her to start my showing. I have even considered selling her in the spring after she kids and buying a new more experienced doe or keeping a doe kid from her who I can handle and won't be so scared of me.

2. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    Stacey, you and I are in the exact same situation. Holly is so skittish she almost chokes herself when I lead her around so how in the world am I going to get her set up?

3. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well maybe someone can help us both because I know there are people out there who have done it.

4. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Please DO NOT let the fear of not showing stop you! I went to my first show in May and I was soooo nervous! Now I LOVE showing. Just make sure you walk so the goat is always between you and the judge ( I made that mistake while showing someone elses goat :oops:) Setting a goat up takes practice I have one who is WILD WILD WILD and I used food and he set-up naturally here is the picture I got...

[​IMG]

Pretty much all of my goats hate being set-up my "good ones" are Janna and Blue they are soooo easy to set-up.

5. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Goodluck! Its always nerve wracking the first few times. I liked showing to. Setting the goats up just takes practice. lots of practice! :D

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah but how do you teach them to set up? I mean she just sits down! Which is rather anoying and then I get anoyed and then our session is shot because I can't work with a goat when anoyed :help:

7. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I think they either set-up naturally or not. I have some that I need to place their feet and they HATE it and some who don't mind one bit so it really is an individual goat thing. I have a doe who sits... I had to drag pretty much the whole time...... she wn her class though.

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she walks for me usually as I lead but if I touch her she gets so upset

9. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    LOL that is how one of my does is, I have to move her legs into place VERY quickly or else she throws a HUGE fit :roll:

10. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I've just started showing this year as well. I sure was nervous to start with but it's really fun and I like it alot. I also have goats that can't stand to be touched, but it just really takes alot of patience. And also at least mine tend to do a little better when they are in the show ring, lots of other things to get their attention. Keep working with her, I'm sure you will have a lot of fun.

11. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    Hollywood is Wild? He doesn't look like it.

12. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Yes, he is WILD but has a good temperment.... if that makes sense. I think he would be really sweet if he wasn't scared of people. I have made the decision to get his horns removed, in January (I am sooo not looking forward to it)

13. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Chelsey, don't be worried, you know its for your own good and for the safety of the other goats that you have to get his horns removed. A horned dairy buck is NOT fun(i'm talking about horns not scurs)
    I had somebody teach me how to set up a goat. It helps if you have somebody show you. The prettiest ones never stand still :roll: What I do though, is I'll pick a goat to pick on(lol) and I make her stand there for 10 minutes while I mess with her feet and put them where I want them. It takes a while, but eventually they give up and you can set them up.
    I finally succeeded with May!! http://freewebs.com/sandylanefarms/may.htm
    LOL

14. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I know it needs to be done :shock: About how long after they get their horns removed do you have to "take care" of their head?

15. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Lyric hates having her head held up when I set her up so I cheated by using a sheep blocking stand to help train her to. She's still in training though.

[​IMG]

Now Heidi on the other hand is the most docile girl ever, she'll just stand there until you say she can move. :) I was showing a friend how tame she was and set her up for them to see and then we got in a conversation and I forgot I had her set up, so we finally remembered and she was still where I had her. :roll:

16. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Crissa, those are the keepers :D I have only a handful that act like that :(
    Chelsey, it wouldn't let me log in this morning so I sent you a long PM on GoatShows. :wink:

17. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Yeah Heidi's great! :) I'm hoping that if I get her bred to a really nice buck I get nice kids with her temperament! I need to send you a new pic of her and see if you think she's improved like Lyric. So what is up with goatshows?

18. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    What's wrong? is the server having trouble again? I was just on there this morning..........

19. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Janna is the same way! Don't you love it!

Sarah - Thank you for sending it =) I sent you a reply.

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Sarah I think Crissa though goatshows was having troubles because of what you said before about not being able to log in.

Crissa Sarah couldn't log into The Goat Spot this morning so she wanted to contact you and did so via goatshow.