Setting up a stall for the does...need some input

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by FMW, Sep 8, 2020.

1. FMW

FMW Active Member

Jun 30, 2020
    midwest
    We currently have a fairly large mobile goat structure that contains the hay feeder and box underneath, their minerals, and the water attached on the outside of it. There is also a landing floor that extends out with a cover, that is made from reclaimed 2x4s. They love to sit on that. Anyway, it's a mobile structure and not one where they could go in and "stay" for a while.

We now are working on creating a walkway into the barn from the pasture. The does can access a barn stall (10x14). We will have a feeder in there and a litter box. I have seen a litter box posted by NigerianDwarfOwner707. I have scrubbed and washed and bleached the mats. They are dry outside at the moment and will be placed onto the concrete floor in the stall. The floor was also washed. Everything looks really clean and hoping to get the mats in tonight. I am SO HOPEFUL that the goats will pee in the litter box and not floor. They will have access to the pasture, which is about 3 acres, but we want to be able to close off the door entrance if it's raining outside and even at night. Right now, they just stay outside in the pasture in their mobile structure or just graze. We also have two other smaller mobile structures where we place identical feed and minerals, so they jump around to eat.

My question about the new stall in the barn is - where do we place the waterer? Does it get hung onto the wall inside the stall? They sometimes have knocked over the waterer off the hook, but it's outside - no harm done. But, inside the barn the water will drop to the floor onto the mats. I would prefer to avoid that kind of mess. This is what we use for the water
    https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/g--4463-little-giant-10-quart-flat-back-feeder.html

What would you use as the water container inside a barn stall to avoid spillage if possible.

This is for three does, two adult and one 5.5 month old.

2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Can you post some photos for a visual?

CottonwoodBoerGoats likes this.

3. FMW

FMW Active Member

Jun 30, 2020
    midwest
    I have some photos, but need to figure out how to post them. So we've had the does in there since Tuesday night and I don't think this will work. We decided a couple of hours ago to just throw straw down.

The problems were not really the animals. We made a litter box for them and it worked very well for the two adult does. It was so cute watching them walk right into their bathroom. They have a tallish wall and they would look out over the wall as they would "go". Anyway, the five month old doe definitely struggled to urinate in her litter box. Also, the amount of manure was crazy! I cleaned up three times after them yesterday, one of which was late last night by husband. This morning the mats were full of manure! I love the manure for compost, but I don't feel comfortable leaving them in that amount of manure for the whole day. Maybe it seemed worse bc the doeling was peeing anywhere she wanted and it mixed up all the manure.
    Lastly, there is a gap in the corner of their stall and it brings in moisture. Bleh
    Anyway, I can see why people love this method. I think the doeling eventually would have learned to pee in the litter box. She loves being and watching her mother and I think she would have learned. I didn't give her enough time to learn after only two days! Also, I love the clean manure - no straw. We use a ton of compost, and it would have been nice to add manure to the right ratio of brown in our compost pile.
    What if we purchased a 10x12 shed and had it with a dirt floor with mats? I'm tempted to go that route.

4. TexasGoatMan

TexasGoatMan Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Dekalb, Texas
    FMW, My suggestion for a water container is to find someone who has one of protein tubs that is empty and clean it out really well. It is large enough to contain all the water your 3 goats will need for a couple of days and nights plus it will not be easy to turn over and spill. In my large barn where the goats stay during bad weather I have a metal frame with half a sheet of plywood laying in the frame and the goats love lying on it. It is up off the concrete slab but low enough for them to jump upon. It is 4X8 feet and I have seen several goats on it at once. Plus it is easy to clean the poop off of and they don't pee on it. Our slab is on a gentle slope so the pee runs down and off of it. So I hope this gives you some ideas.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  5. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I’m trying my brain hard to figure out a solution for all the poop. Maybe an easier technique to give more time in between cleanings. It works great for pee, but people do mind the sheer amount of poop. I try to remind them that the poop would be the same amount even if there was deep bedding, you just couldn’t see it. Which actually would make me feel worse, not being able to keep it clean.

6. FMW

FMW Active Member

Jun 30, 2020
    midwest
  7. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
  8. FMW

FMW Active Member

Jun 30, 2020
    midwest
    Oh interesting, I wonder if that's what it is. I would have loved to have a space that is better suited and away from the elements outside.

9. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    That is plenty of space for your goats.... nice job.... and really ... poop happens with livestock. I clean daily, but do I get every pellet? NO! As long as bedding is dry and feed/water/minerals is not contaminated, that is the main purpose. Straw hold moisture and poop. Please don't be afraid of poo...... it comes with the goat.