seventeen (ish) days and counting

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by Vanaheimr, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Vanaheimr

Vanaheimr New Member

Dec 3, 2017
    Chocolate, my two year old Togenberg X, was serviced on the 24th of July. So we are hoping for our first birth at Vanaheimr just before Christmas. I have totally become a pregnant goat stalker! Constantly surveying her puffy pink fanny, assessing her ever expanding udder, scrutinising her every blet.

I do have one question, for the last week, Choccy's tail is leaning off on a jaunty angle off to the left, is the a pregnancy symptom?

2. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    That is a sign that she is getting closer to delivering

Vanaheimr and goatblessings like this.

3. Vanaheimr

Vanaheimr New Member

Dec 3, 2017
    Here is a photo of her this morning (note tail), I was a bit disappointed because she doesn't look as pregnant as she did a week ago. But reviewing this photo, I noticed the hollowed hips and I was sure that was a sign :) So I am guessing she has 'dropped' in the last day or two- so exciting!

Attached Files:

CrazyDogLady likes this.
  4. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    When was she first put in with the buck?

I have a doe due around the same time (Dec. 20th)!

Vanaheimr likes this.
  5. Goat_Scout

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    Awww, such a pretty girl! Is she a Nubian/Toggenburg cross?

My doe has been more hollowed out in the last week or so as well.

Vanaheimr likes this.
  6. Vanaheimr

Vanaheimr New Member

Dec 3, 2017
    24th of July 2017 and only that day (for 15mins)

7. Vanaheimr

Vanaheimr New Member

Dec 3, 2017
    Her mum was Togenburg, the billy was likely a New Zealand feral who jumped the fence. I love her, she is the more aloof of the two girls (twins) we have, but time spent quietly with her is so worth the effort.
    What breed is your girl?

Goat_Scout likes this.
  8. Goat_Scout

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    That's great! I saw the picture of her twin on your other thread. They are both gorgeous. :) Oh, and welcome to TGS, so glad you joined us!

My doe is a purebred Nubian and this will be her second time kidding. I am very excited to see her kid(s)!

Vanaheimr likes this.
  9. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    NC
  10. ArborGoats

ArborGoats Active Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Hope all is going well!

11. Vanaheimr

Vanaheimr New Member

Dec 3, 2017
    We have a show!
    I was doing the evening feed and Choccy had evidence of a show- looked like dirty dry snot stuck to her vulva. She ate her wee heart out, so I am thinking labour might days away still.

So the big question is do I bring her into the stable? It is summer, the weather is dry, stable and warm- not dropping below 62F over night. And I think she more be happy staying out.

12. ArborGoats

ArborGoats Active Member

Jan 24, 2013
    I would leave her out if it was me, moving around would be good for her.

CrazyDogLady likes this.
  13. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Some discharge is completely normal in the weeks (sometimes months!) before birth. She shouldn't kid quite this early, before 140 days (Dec. 11) would be quite uncommon and risky for the kids.

Here is goat gestation calculator:
    http://www.americangoatsociety.com/education/gestation_calculator.php

I would consider putting her away in a birthing stable for the nights around starting about Dec 16 depending on how she is feeling & acting. But yes, exercise is critical for getting those babies in the proper position so you don't want her cooped up too much!

Best wishes!

Goat_Scout likes this.
  14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    All good advice.

If you can watch her I would allow her to be out and about. Happy kidding. :)

15. cbrossard

cbrossard Active Member

Oct 4, 2014
    She is so cute!! I'm goat stalking these days too :) My first is due Dec 29! It looks like a few of us will have kids around Christmas!! :happygoat:

goatblessings likes this.
  16. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    NC
    I'd let her stay out and about. They really need the exercise in late pregnancy.

17. Vanaheimr

Vanaheimr New Member

Dec 3, 2017
    Thank you all and yes I left her out.
    More show today- a very mucky tail

toth boer goats and SalteyLove like this.
  18. Vanaheimr

Vanaheimr New Member

Dec 3, 2017
    so Choccy, my lovely shy aloof goat has turn into a right lady dog. She used to need to be hoaxed over for a head scratch or ear rub, now she is demanding them and if they are not provided quick enough, i get a wee (little) shove.

I think her back end is looking as it should for 12 days to go- I realised today, she is due to kid on the solstice, to that is pretty cool.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 4:37 PM
    SalteyLove, ArborGoats and Goat_Scout like this.
  19. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Aren't the temperament changes amazing?!? I always look forward to my aloof gals coming around in late pregnancy. Doesn't work with all of them!