The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

The is the first time I've posted but I've read a ton on these forums and am really appreciative of all the information I've read over the past year. This is my 2nd year of owing goats - grew up on a dairy cattle farm so I have animal background, but just new to goats. We have boers.

On to our problem....I apologize this is really long - just want to be really detailed. we have an almost 2 year old doe who has mostly been off feed and water since last Wednesday. We had a snow storm drop a foot of snow last week and the morning after the storm she started acting sick and not wanting to eat or drink and just stand in the same spot and not move much.

I should mention she is around 60 days pregnant.

I moved her into one of the pens we had set up for kidding and put a heat lamp in there because she was shaking - temp at that point was 101.3. So not extremely low, but she acted cold. No coughing or discharge and poop was looking normal. The next morning which was Thursday, I checked her FAMACHA and she was starting to get pale so I gave her panacur. She still wasn't eating or drinking much so I gave her Nutridrench twice a day as well.

Had the only vet we could find on call out Friday (New Years Day) - her eyelids were very pale, almost white at that point. He said it was worms, gave her Cydectin I believe it was (what he used for cattle), listened to her lungs and said they were clear, even though she was breathing a bit heavy - he said the blood loss from worms could be causing it? Also gave her Proplyene Glycol and said to give 15cc twice a day for 3-4 days.

She still did not drink much all weekend and would only very occasionally nibble on hay. We kept going with the nutri drench and then drenched her with gatorade as well. If we put her face up to the water bucket she will drink a small amount, but won't even try on her own.

We called our actual vet Monday, and he came out late afternoon. He said she was starting penumonia now, and temp was just a touch high. He gave her Draxxin, IV Banomine and a shot of Vitamin B12 I think it was. My husband was there and I got there just before he left. He said if she doesn't turn the corner in a few days that really the only option would be heading to ISU (Iowa State University) for a blood transfusion.

I feel like she isn't really improving - her breathing seems more labored and she still will not eat or drink much on her own. She does get up and move around on her own, but if she is up, she stands in the same spot for extended periods of time.

We have been doing lots of reading of course and started Red Cell last night and got oral Vitamin B to give her.

Our dilemma is will the blood transfusion work, or is it worth it? Or anything else we can try?

How do we get her the nutrition she needs while she is off feed? We are willing to try anything at this point. Holy cow...that got long fast! Thank you for any advice anyone may have!

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,278 Posts
Blood transfusions are tough but they are helpful.

What is her temp currently at?

Just as a note - cydectin was a good choice, make sure to repeat that in 10 days.

Draxxin was also a good choice. The shot needs to be repeated in 7 days.

Red cell 6cc per 100lbs. However, at this point you may want to try injectable pig iron (note this can cause allergic reaction, have high doses of Benadryl or Epinephrine), before doing a transfusion.

Vitamin b complex injectable not oral 6cc per 100lbs.

Alfalfa pellets soaked in water with yogurt, dark greens like kale, applesauce/banana, pumpkin purée, and room temp dark beer fed as a smoothie multiple times daily. Add a few raw cloves of garlic to this too.

·
Fair-Haven
4,612 Posts
Blood transfusions are very helpful. If she had a worm overload, she will also need follow up worming, iron or red cell etc. Above recommendations are helpful. Is is worth it? Depends on what value she is to your heart and your herd. It can be very expensive without a guarantee she will pull through. If you have other goats, please get a fecal run to see if they need wormed as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@NigerianDwarfOwner707 Her temp last night was 103.8. The vet said not to give anymore banimine which I thought was strange because I thought it could be used several days in a row, but that is also coming from my cattle background. Goats I am finding are much more finicky!

We do have the pig iron but I was nervous to give that to her in case of the allergic reaction. :( How much Benedryl if we try that route?

Is the injectable Vitamin B OTC or comes from the vet? Also thank you for the smoothie suggestion. Is that drenched to her? She hasn't had any interest in taking anything orally on her own unfortunately.

·
Registered
29,942 Posts
I'll be honest..I absolutely hate Cydectin cattle pour on as an oral dewormer so im a bit bias here...however giving any pour on orally can cause more issue in an already anemic goat. It's kill rate is fast..often causing bleed out and/ or dead worm toxicity. This maybe why by the time your actual vet came her famacha was worse. For furture reference, There are other sources of Cydectin that are safer...and effective. ;) i realize the vet treated her and most likely didn't even ask your preference. So not scolding you at all..just informing.

If you go with injectable iron, have at least 20 cc Benadryl ready in a syringe. Keep the bottle handy in case more is needed. Stay with her at least 30 minutes and watch. Usually reaction is quick but sometimes can be delayed.

B complex is OTC.
Smoothies of dark greens, carrots, celery, garlic are all good ways to get calories and nutrients to her. If she won't slurp it up her aelf..then yes drench her carefully. Also offer leaves, pine, cedar, vines..any safe natural browse along with hay and alfalfa for her to pick and choose from.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
For my anemic goat our vet has a bit of a different approach.
1ccof red cell per every 10 lbs Orally once a day till pink then twice a week for two weeks, then once a week for two more Weeks.
Vitamin b complex (sub q)1cc per 10 lbs daily till better.
High protein diet (alfalfa hay and pellets, calf manna etc)
Vitamin c chewables or gummies.
I realize she’s pregnant but getting her better comes first then you can back off the grains.
Also pine branches as much As she can eat will also help.

A blood transfusion can be rough especially if there’s also a long journey involved but worth it if it’s necessary.
Best of luck with her.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Sorry to hear. We had a similar situation like this last year. One of our boer nannies got down with anemia real fast due to worms. Developed bottle jaw too. Sounds like you've taken the first step in the right direction with the wormer, but it's important to get her nutrients if she's not eating. We drenched our girl with powdered goat milk twice a day since she wouldn't eat. In addition, we gave her injectable iron (pig iron like from tractor supply) and b vitamin complex injections. Poor thing was like a pin cushion over the following weeks. She also developed pneumonia to which we had to give her shot of anitbiotics. Also we were administering oral probiotics throughout the course of illness. For us, it took about 6 weeks for her to get better and a few more months before she was her old self. At that point, we sold her. A word of wisdom....Boers are parasite magnets! You can manage the worm load through proper husbandry and educating yourself about the parasite life cycle. If your doe gets better, I would recommend selling her. The best defense against the parasites in my opinion is keeping only healthy stock which shows resistance to worms. I've heard that something like 20% of your herd carries 80% of the worm load. Good luck! Keep us posted.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,278 Posts
I-ll be honest..I absolutely hate Cydectin cattle pour on as an oral dewormer so im a bit bias here...however giving any pour on orally can cause more issue in an already anemic goat. It's kill rate is fast..often causing bleed out and/ or dead worm toxicity. This maybe why by the time your actual vet came her famacha was worse. For furture reference, There are other sources of Cydectin that are safer...and effective. ;) i realize the vet treated her and most likely didn't even ask your preference. So not scolding you at all..just informing.

If you go with injectable iron, have at least 20 cc Benadryl ready in a syringe. Keep the bottle handy in case more is needed. Stay with her at least 30 minutes and watch. Usually reaction is quick but sometimes can be delayed.

B complex is OTC.
Smoothies of dark greens, carrots, celery, garlic are all good ways to get calories and nutrients to her. If she won't slurp it up her aelf..then yes drench her carefully. Also offer leaves, pine, cedar, vines..any safe natural browse along with hay and alfalfa for her to pick and choose from.
:up::nod:

·
Registered
11,179 Posts
In addition to all the great advice above, to get nutrition in to her try soaking alfalfa pellets in hot water to create a mash/oatmeal that can be syringed into her if she will swallow well for her. It takes a long time to soak them soft (overnight). Warm it up before syringing you can use something large like a turkey baster.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone for the advice! I really appreciate it! Her temp last night was 102.2 and her breathing wasn't quite as labored as the day before which are promising signs I hope. We got some injectable B Vitamin Complex and some probios. We also got her to take about 5 oz of a smoothie we made up with the ingredients suggested and some flat dark beer.

She still won't drink water on her own which is frustrating - I'd feel a whole lot better if she would. If we force her nose down close to the water she takes a few small sips but that's it. She has been nibbling alfalfa and grass hay here and there. I'll have to get some more alfalfa pellets - we are out and she likes those or used to anyway ;)

I know it takes time - but it's hard to be patient and not just constantly worry! lol

·
Registered
29,942 Posts
Sounds like shes starting to feel better. Maybe try warm water with a splash of ACV and a drizzle of molasses.

Best wishes

·
Registered
11,179 Posts
You're going to have to try some other hydration options to get her drinking. Dehydration will keep them sicker, longer. She needs at least a gallon a day.

You can try offering very hot water with a spoonful of molassess or Karo and see if she likes that. You can try a bucket with a packet of kool-aid, Tang, or gatorade mixed in.

If she is swallowing well and will allow it, then getting a super large syringe and dribbling warm water into her is an option, but it's awful hard to get a gallon in that way.

Do you know how to "tent" the skin to check for dehydration? Find a video if not and try to gauge just how dehydrated she is.

And yes yes to pine boughs! That can often get them eating again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@SalteyLove Thank you for the response! Yes that is the thing that is stressing me out the most. She has absolutely no interest in drinking any water and I know dehydration can bring her down the fastest. I just wish she would drink something!

I do know how to tent - it's not the quickest reflex but I've seen worse in some of my dairy calves. But I know she's dehydrated - her head just seems sunken in some spots and I can tell by her eyes.

We have tried warm water, water with koolaid, we are trying to find molasses since no store near us carries it. White Karo or Dark? I can find some of that today!

We have been drenching her with gatorade and powerade and put her nose up to the water bucket and she maybe takes a few small sips.

I have resorb I use for the calves - can I mix that in water for her or is there a better electrolyte to use? Is too much gatorade a bad thing? We've pretty much been relying on that for the last week.

I'll have to see if I can find any pine boughs - I wish it was summer so I had more fresh things to offer her!

·
Registered
29,942 Posts
Most times when mine are off feed and fluids..they will drink water with a bit of ACV and molasses splashed in. Resorb is good too.
Sub Q fluids is easy to do at home. Just pick up a lactate ringer from your vet.
Can also give her cayenne pepper and honey for a pick me up and energy. (Teaspoon each in enough water to drench. ) or you can rub on her gums.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@happybleats What kind of molasses do you use? And how much water do you put it in? She has a 2 gallon bucket in front of her that we keep full and filled fresh daily.

Thanks!

·
Registered
29,942 Posts
I like black strap molasses but if I cant find it local, I grab the darkest unsulphured the store has. In 2 gallons I would a few tablespoons to start and a splash of ACV with mother in it.

Reactions: GoofyGoat
1 - 20 of 36 Posts