The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found my billy pretty torn up this morning and am vacillating on euthanasia.

His tail head is gone with large 4” by 4” open wound and severe tissue damage. One ear has severe punctures exposing the connective tissue connection and his face has two large, deep puncture tears on each side. He was bleeding when I found him and licking and crying a bit in pain, but on his feet and very alert.

I’ve trimmed hair and rinsed all wounds with betadine, given him banamine, and dimethoxysulfa antibiotic and isolated him.

He still seems to be on his feet, was fighting me strongly during treatment and is moving vigorously. I then gave me some tramadol at goat dosages I found online, cause I figured it might kill him but would be better dying slightly stoned than being in a great deal of pain.

I think most folks would euthanize and I have a captive bolt stunner so can do so, but he just seems to have a very strong will to live, so have held off.

What signs should I watch for that would indicate this is the right choice?

The treatment I’m planning to is to flush w water, betadine wash, another day on tramadol/banamine, then shift to banamine for a few more days, and continue with the dimethylsulfox

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
It sounds like he has survived the initial shock. If you have the time to doctor him for several days I'd probably stick with it. The decision point for me would be bowel control, the missing tailhead may make it difficult for him to defecate.

I'm not familiar with the antibiotic you are using, but you need a strong and LONG course for bite wounds, 10 days minimum.

Are you sure you flushed the full depth of the puncture wounds? Infection happens fast in those.

I'm so sorry, that must have been a horrendous morning.

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
Oh Man..Im so sorry that happened..poor baby. I agree with Salty, watch for pooping and would add a shot of tetanus antitoxin asap. watch for signs of shock, infection and pain that banamine alone cant handle. B complex to support his system and keep browse food, hay and alfalfa close. I would not feed grain right now. Best wishes

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
The antibiotic you're using is sulfa based, which is good however it can be rough on his rumen so make sure you're giving probiotics and watch for rumen distress.
Sounds like you're doing everything right.
I hope he does well for you!
I'm sure no matter what you'll do the right thing.
Good luck.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I agree with the other posters.
At first it can be rough, but if he can get through this phase and still have a good quality of life, keep fighting.
Generally speaking, if an animal has a will to live and fight, then I’ll fight alongside with them (within reason)

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
All have great advice.

So sorry he was hurt so badly. :(

The question of when is it enough, or know when to put him down, is when he tells you, he will not want to eat and unwilling to move around.
You will know.

It sounds like he is a trooper, give him a chance. Poor guy.

Is his anal area intact, how is his scrotum? If he needs constructive surgery, he should get it to survive.

I am unfamiliar with the antibiotic as well.
Hopefully, it will fight off infection. Along with daily flushes 2 x a day. Dog mouths have a lot of bacteria.

Hopeful the dog was taken care of?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All have great advice.

So sorry he was hurt so badly. :(

The question of when is it enough, or know when to put him down, is when he tells you, he will not want to eat and unwilling to move around.
You will know.

It sounds like he is a trooper, give him a chance. Poor guy.

Is his anal area intact, how is his scrotum? If he needs constructive surgery, he should get it to survive.

I am unfamiliar with the antibiotic as well.
Hopefully, it will fight off infection. Along with daily flushes 2 x a day. Dog mouths have a lot of bacteria.

Hopeful the dog was taken care of?
I think my big concern is that his anal area is not intact. All the skin and superficial flesh is gone from start of tail area to a few inches above scrotum to the point bits of bone are exposed. I can't justify surgery due to cost but even if possible there just isn't anything left to stitch up. He is eating alfalfa pellets and drinking but my fear is that his feces will contaminate the wound. My only hope is that because it is a wide surface wound without punctures it is more straightforward to keep clean.

He fought like a hellion today so he seems to have made his mind up on the matter.

The dog situation is on me as neighbors dogs roam a bit and I knew I should have locked them up at night but they like to graze in the larger pasture so I let them stay out.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
I agree with Saltey.

Hopefully he can poo OK.
Have you seen anything yet?
If he doesn't get the scours it should be easier to keep clean.
Be careful with his diet.

Has he had his CD&T vaccine recently?

What are you putting on the wound area?

Glad he is eating and acting OK.
Poor guy.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I lost my boy today. He fought like a hellion up to yesterday. I was rinsing wounds with iodine and giving antibiotics and probiotics. His face and ear wounds seemed to be healing but the wound on his rump had a lot of flesh that needed to be debrided. This is a bit yucky but I noted some maggot investation which I hoped would keep gangrene at bay. I think what may have been the final stroke was that his rectum May had been so severely damaged as to make it just not possible to survive.

I have two of his sons so his fighting sprit will be carried on. He was a good little buck. :(

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
I lost my boy today. He fought like a hellion up to yesterday. I was rinsing wounds with iodine and giving antibiotics and probiotics. His face and ear wounds seemed to be healing but the wound on his rump had a lot of flesh that needed to be debrided. This is a bit yucky but I noted some maggot investation which I hoped would keep gangrene at bay. I think what may have been the final stroke was that his rectum May had been so severely damaged as to make it just not possible to survive.

I have two of his sons so his fighting sprit will be carried on. He was a good little buck. :(
Sorry you lost your guy. But yay for having his sons! You did a great job tryin get him through it!

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
Oh Im sorry.

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Oh..that is terrible! Im so sorry for your loss. I know you did all you could do for him. Im glad you have his 2 sons.
I.pray you never have to go through this ever again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts