The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All I am really scared for my goat Portia. Several of you helped with advice over the severe acute Mastitis case she got about 3 days after having her first kids. She almost died. I took her to the vet and they kept her for 3 days. They did IV antibiotics and fluids but didn't really do anything for the udder. They said to leave it alone and let her dry off. I talked to people in this group and another group of experienced goat owners and it was recommended I massage and treat the udder internally with TODAY. (thank everyone for their advice I did this, for a long time I would milk out bloody liquid and then treat with TODAY. This is where I think I messed up really badly. The skin on her udder and teat turned into scab. I though this was just because it was traumatized by the infection and swelling and when the scab came off it would be healthy tissue underneath. I've been using bag balm to keep it softened so it doesn't crack and bleed and used iodine around the edges to make sure the raw places didn't get infected. Now I see that the black scab was the actual skin. The bottom part of the udder is degloved the top part is literally like a glove of skin that you can lift and under is this exposed tissue. A lot of it is dried out looking so not infected but the part that was the most swollen to the back of the udder is looking like it might be infected. Last I checked her temp she is normal. She is eating and drinking and the only area that seems particularly tender is the back area. Is this something she can recover from? I spent about $750 at the vet plus the extra stuff I bought to help her. I cant spend that again. I'm a massage therapist and I have been shut down for almost 2 months. I do have more of the antibiotic they sent home with me I could start her up on that again. I am really stressed so please don't jump on me for my mistakes but I do want to know what I could have done better and what you recommend now.

The first picture is from the front the right is the healthy teat the left obviously the diseased one. The black skin is what I thought was just a scab.

The second picture- This is exposed A LOT more than this morning. Before the skin covered most this white area. That is where I was cleaning the discharge at least the edge of that area it was not all exposed earlier and this is where I think the bad smell that just started is coming from.

IMG-0951.jpg
IMG-0954.jpg

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Don't you dare feel bad about anything you've done or haven't done! Mastitis is serious business and you've done everything you can and more than most people would have. I think you've been doing a great job and your little goat is very lucky to have you.

Photos of the sloughing udder tissue would be helpful. Does the udder feel cold to the touch? Does it have a putrid odor? It sounds like she may possibly have gangrenous mastitis. If that's what she has, the infected part of the udder will slough off, in which case there's no saving the half that's infected. You just have to support her through it while the nasty stuff sloughs away so the rest can heal over. Since she's eating well and not spiking a temperature I would not recommend putting her back on antibiotics. She's dealing with the aftermath of the infection and it may take a long time to heal from it.

I'm sorry you're going through this, especially right now when you're strapped for cash. But whatever happens, don't beat yourself up over it and don't let anyone dare tell you that this is somehow your fault or that you didn't do enough. Even the most experienced goat people sometimes lose udders and goats to mastitis. You're doing extremely well considering how serious a case this was.

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
Don't you dare feel bad about anything you've done or haven't done! Mastitis is serious business and you've done everything you can and more than most people would have. I think you've been doing a great job and your little goat is very lucky to have you.

Photos of the sloughing udder tissue would be helpful. Does the udder feel cold to the touch? Does it have a putrid odor? It sounds like she may possibly have gangrenous mastitis. If that's what she has, the infected part of the udder will slough off, in which case there's no saving the half that's infected. You just have to support her through it while the nasty stuff sloughs away so the rest can heal over. Since she's eating well and not spiking a temperature I would not recommend putting her back on antibiotics. She's dealing with the aftermath of the infection and it may take a long time to heal from it.

I'm sorry you're going through this, especially right now when you're strapped for cash. But whatever happens, don't beat yourself up over it and don't let anyone dare tell you that this is somehow your fault or that you didn't do enough. Even the most experienced goat people sometimes lose udders and goats to mastitis. You're doing extremely well considering how serious a case this was.
amen! The OP is doin great! And that idder is doin what it "should" be doing now.
I do recall it is gangrenous mastitis in this lady.

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
I agree. Well said Damfino! .gangrenous mastitis is nasty to deal with. She will slough off and it may look worse before it looks better. Keeping tabs o her temp..making sure she eats and stays hydrated and continue vit c as a support.

Reactions: MRSEDM

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Im adding pictures it did not smell before but when I went out it was worse and has a bad smell

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ill call the vet tomorrow she has been off the Antibiotic for a little over a week now. I still have about half it left (Naxcel) maybe they will want me to keep giving it to her. Beyond that how would you clean and treat it? Is it ok to wash and disinfect anything I should not be using?

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Oh yes, the photos tell the whole story now. That is gangrenous and there is unfortunately nothing you can do at this point to help that half of the udder. You just need to support your sweet goaty through this ordeal as she sloughs that side. It will be gross and stinky and disgusting, and you'll need to try to clean up the mess it leaves so it's not contaminating the bedding and soil. You don't want the other side or any other goats to get it.

Fortunately at this stage it is probably not painful. The nerves are dead and you're just waiting for that rotten stuff to fall away. I feel like the most dangerous part of this disease is over. If she's not spiking a fever then I don't think she's actually fighting any kind of infection. It stinks because it died a while back, so I'm not sure if antibiotics are indicated at this point. They sure won't help the infected udder. However, it's worth calling the vet and asking because I could absolutely be wrong about needing to continue antibiotics!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have been recommended to give her Vitamin C and B complex do you concur? IF so do I just get Human vitamins and hide them in treats? Also I have been giving her a probiotic I imagine I should keep doing that? She has free access to alfalfa and I give her some Dumor Pellet grain at night with maybe a cup of Sunflower seeds. Anything else I should add to support her immune system?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
We give our goats these whenever we think they need some vit c

They eat them right up! I give 2 per goat per day (when I think they need immune support) Some don't like them but you could either force feed or hide it in a treat (like a fig newton or something).

The b complex is a daily injection. Have you ever given it before?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I have given antibiotic injections not B Complex. Where can I purchase it? I also want to confirm I should continue treating it and spraying w disinfectant?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
I have given antibiotic injections not B Complex. Where can I purchase it? I also want to confirm I should continue treating it and spraying w disinfectant?
21goaties got you covered on the B complex, but as far as the udder goes I'm not sure whether you should keep treating it. I've never dealt with this particular type of mastitis, but my instinct says keep washing and disinfecting until all that nasty stuff falls off. I think it would help the rotten part fall away faster so the rest can begin to heal over. Teat infusions probably aren't worth continuing though.

I have to ask... is the teat still working? Is it warm? Every case I've seen on these forums has involved the teat, and the owners were unable to extract any fluid through the teat or infuse anything. If you have been milking and infusing I wonder if there is a possibility that this gangrene is only affecting the back part of the udder and the rest could heal. It seems like a long shot, but at the same time I'm sometimes amazed at how well bodies can heal from devastating problems.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The teat stopped working about a week ago I was able to get the last TODAY tx in but after that the scabbing became too thick. After that for a couple days I could milk out the yuck but for the past several days its just scab. Ive been cleaning and putting bag balm on the really thick part to keep it from cracking and bleeding. Cleaning around the edges and using Iodine. I am not really using the bag balm at the moment. There is just a little scabby area and it should fall off in the next few days hopefully.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
The teat stopped working about a week ago I was able to get the last TODAY tx in but after that the scabbing became too thick. After that for a couple days I could milk out the yuck but for the past several days its just scab. Ive been cleaning and putting bag balm on the really thick part to keep it from cracking and bleeding. Cleaning around the edges and using Iodine. I am not really using the bag balm at the moment. There is just a little scabby area and it should fall off in the next few days hopefully.
Yeah, I don't think Bag Balm will help at this point unless some of the healthy tissue around the edges is chapped. I think continuing a mild iodine wash on the oozy parts is a good idea. It will help dry and disinfect that outer crust. You could probably just spritz it on from a spray bottle. It should be the color of weak tea. Good luck going forward. You're doing a fantastic job!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just an update for everyone who helped. Its been kind of fascinating/Extremely gross watching this process. The skin of the udder shed and then the part inside that made the milk (the mammary gland?) slowly started detaching. Blood, Tendon etc just started releasing it. Finally it detached leaving an open hole in the udder where the attachments were kinda sticking out. The skin is starting to pull closed like a purse string. She is going to look odd with one Teat but at least she is doing good. I'm flushing the open area with saline and spraying Iodine to help prevent any more infection. She has not had a fever during this process and seems to be feeling pretty good. Her other teat continues producing milk. Thank everyone for their help. I was in tears when I first saw what was happening sure Id killed her. Everyone's experience and advice leveled me out and helped me support her!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts