The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is a good place to put this, but our trough is being overrun with wasps! Or yellow jackets. There are HUNDREDS of them. They swarm the trough all day.... All the animals drink out of it, and I am worried one of the animals or us will get stung... We have a trap out there, but it doesn't catch anything but flies :mad:

Any ideas on what we could do?

·
Registered
31,447 Posts
find the nest...wait for evening then spray them

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's nests everywhere... :( But I will try and find some wasp spray and get some of them.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i read that you should use a 50/50 mix of water and ammonia and saturate their nest in the evening. let sit overnight and remove in the morning. never tried it but it supposedly works

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We might have some ammonia... I'll have to try that. I would guess it would work.. It IS ammonia after all.. lol

Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
31,447 Posts
I would leave the nest...I read it will keep them from coming back...

·
Amber
1,339 Posts
We have them here also. ..I mix dawn dish soap with water in a spray bottle (one that you can set to stream spray) spray the nest and however many wasps you can and RUN! lol it works everytime here

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
We have them here also. ..I mix dawn dish soap with water in a spray bottle (one that you can set to stream spray) spray the nest and however many wasps you can and RUN! lol it works everytime here
I'm confused. What does it do?

·
Amber
1,339 Posts
It kills the ones we have.

·
I'm watching you
22,532 Posts
It smothers them. The breathing holes in their thorax get all gunked up and they can't breathe.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Who would have thought Dawn Dishwashing soap would be good for so much. It also kills fleas and ticks.

·
Amber
1,339 Posts
Oh I know!

It is also a really good carpet cleaner when you mix it with vinegar.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
It smothers them. The breathing holes in their thorax get all gunked up and they can't breathe.
Who knew that wasps breathe through their thorax? :confused: Hey goathiker, I'll bet you could answer a question for me. What kind of eagle has a white breast and golden brown tail feathers? I saw a bird like that in the pivot today, and I would bet money it was an eagle of some kind because of the size - he was big! Head was not white, but I'm not sure what color it was - I don't see all that well anymore. Any ideas?

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I would say the 2nd picture. Breast was white from right under his beak all the way down as far as I could see. He was beautiful!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts