The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Jen
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a goat that had scours for a couple of days this week. We put her in the barn and nursed her back to where she seemed to be doing better. She was was wormed with Safeguard on 7/14 with the rest of the herd at 3 times the recommended dose...but today her eyelids are completely white! She is weak and started to scour again. I'm at a loss as to what to do next. I sent my husband to get some Ivomec and maybe some red cell. I also have vit B complex. I would normally give the ivomec orally but do not want to kill her by killing the worms too fast.

1. Should I give the Ivomec IM or SQ and at what dose?
2. How often should I give it?
3. What dose should I use on the vit B complex?

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
I recommend doing ivomec olus 1 cc per 40# sub Q 3 times ten days apart then once again in 30 days

For anemina:
Red cell 6 cc per 100# double day one the reg. dose for a week then once a week until you see color return or use iron injectable
Vit B 12 is needed tohelp rebuild red blood cells
B complex as a support vit is always a good thing 4-5 cc per 100#
high protien feed, alflafa and green leaves all help rebuild red blood cells..
keep her as stress free and well hydrated as you can while she mends

here is a good article on anemia
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/anemiaingoats.html

·
Jen
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Cathy!! I was reading that very article when I got your reply! I'm just so disappointed with myself for not noticing her getting this bad!!

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
dont beat yourself up...it can happen so fast..Last month I went to do my nightly check on things and saw my nubian with bottle jaw!!! How was that missed all day..UGH..took two weeks for her to recover..;)
You will haveher up and going in no time

·
1,524 Posts
The worms that cause severe anemia usually does not respond to the so called "white wormers" even when given in huge amounts. Don't beat yourself up, you gave medication and figured it did the job. When I get an anemic goat, I always use the injectable iron and B complex injections. It just seems to work much faster than oral iron supplements.

·
Jen
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe wishful thinking, but I think she is doing better. She is still up in the stall being "babied" and her eyes seem to be pinking up some. We have had a rough week with goats...We lost a mamma and her 2 babies and now this gal is sick. It's just been one of those weeks that you wonder if you are doing a good enough job....Plus been SUPER busy with shows this week. We have been gone 19 hours on tuesday, 16 hours today....and have to leave at 5 in the morning and won't be home til bout 2 in the morning... I hate having to be gone with I have a sick one...

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
sounds like she is much improved.
..sometimes bad things happen out of our control...all we can do is push through it..Im sure she will continue to improve for you ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
A very anemic goat I give a half dose the first worming then a few days later a full dose. I'm in Oregon you're in Tennesee, here Safeguard doesn't work and neither dose Ivermectin except for Lungworm. I have Liverfluke here and that's takes IvomecPlus and Valbazen. I use Valbazen for anemic goats I feel that it is tolerated better. Barberpole takes Quest horse wormer or Cydectin. I just gave the series of worming to a doe with the whitest eyelids I've ever seen. All of the worming was well tolerated since worms are worse than the wormers. I won't use Cydectin on a weakened goat. I'm not a fan of the carrier in it. So 1st dose Quest horse wormer at half the dosage of 1cc per 100 lbs. 5 days later a full dose of Quest, 5 days after that Valbazen, 5 days later Quest, 5 days later Valbazen and so on till each wormer is given 4 times 10 days apart. The first dose of Quest doesn't count since it's supposed to do a partial kill. I have found that the Liverflukes need 4 times dosed with Valbazen and in some areas they can only be kept at bay during certain times of the year.

The doe is eating really well now and starting to get some color in eyelids after about 5 weeks now. She's getting free choice alfalfa pellets and grass hay and some corn to help gain some weight which was slowly introduced.

·
Jen
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
She is doing great! Eyes are a light pink...poo is back to pellets...and she is starting to play again. She is progressing well, and putting on weight! I think she is enjoying her "me time" away from the rest of the herd for a while...

·
Look for me in the barn...
1,074 Posts
Raisins are a great source of iron, believe it or not. I have a doe who had barber pole and I'm treating the resulting anemia with raisins - she's progressing nicely! Her eyelids are at the Borderline stage on the FAMACHA chart - they were at Fatal two weeks ago.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Raisins are a great source of iron, believe it or not. I have a doe who had barber pole and I'm treating the resulting anemia with raisins - she's progressing nicely! Her eyelids are at the Borderline stage on the FAMACHA chart - they were at Fatal two weeks ago.
How many raisins a day? That sounds like a easy way to treat versus drenching or shots :)

·
Look for me in the barn...
1,074 Posts
I don't have an actual "dose" - I've just been giving her a handful or two a day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts