The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello :)

We used to have a pair of pygmy cross goats, they were brothers and have lived together all their lives. Sadly, a few months ago the youngest of the pair had to be put down because of severe arthritis. Following this the elder dominant goat Will got what was most likely depression, stopped eating and was understandably very upset. He is a lot better and brighter now but he has dropped so much weight he, aside from his rumen, is very skeletal. As the winter is coming up I am very worried that he wont survive it without any fat on him and he is quite sensitive to the cold, we have heaters and blankets etc to help but I really would like to put some weight on him. At the moment he is being fed dodson & horrell goat mix mixed with sequim supplement, fruit and vegetables and good quality hay and tree branches. He also has access to a mineral lick. But he has become very fussy and will only eat a bit of fruit, hardly any hay and only some of his food. He was never much one for browsing the grass etc but somtimes has a go in dads greenhouse...He loves carbs, bread, crackers etc but that isnt the best for him so obviously he cant have too much.

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas, different feeds or supplements we could try him with to bulk him up for the winter as I am really scared he wont get through it in his current condition.

Sorry for the ramble and thanks in advance!!

Amy

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Try getting some beet pulp, rice bran, and a new goaty friend! :)

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
I would give him B Complex shots. Have you tried some Calf Manna and Alfalfa Pellets? Remember any dietary change should be done slowly.

I would also get him a good loose goat mineral like Manna Pro Goat Mineral.

·
Registered
30,552 Posts
BOSS is a good fat to have him on...
B complex will help a ton...4-5 cc sub Q daily
I would forgo the treats for while..you want him to eat things that will help build him up...Once his weight is back up then treats on occastion is fine.
Although a goat can loose weight super fast...regaining it is much much slower...be patient and dont try to rush it by over feeding him. Slow and steady is best...choose the best quality of hay and feed as you can ..best wishes

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
I would first have a fecal done - check for parasites.

He likely needs a companion or the depression will stay. I suggest two new goats so when he passes (due to age) you still have two goats.

Beat pulp is good for adding weight

1 - 5 of 5 Posts