The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
14,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The kids fair show is tomorrow evening.

Our fairground is the most tricky of all the fairs that our kids show at. They have pens or pens that can be set up, BUT they are for sheep & cattle. Last year our goats were going right under them. Plus it was really dusty in the barn.

This year, we're planning on trying to keep some on the trailer, and maybe try to make some kind of temporary pen out of an extra piece of field fencing we have <for a mama/2 babies>, I'll figure that out this evening, haha.
Otherwise we have a couple we can tie out next to us on a long leash.
We'll make it work.

Biggest problem is there just isn't any shade. I drove around the barn today and not seeing many options for parking under the trees.
Have to get there about 1:30-2pm, and it will be hot, in the mid to upper 80s.
Trailer has cover on it.

I was thinking has anyone ever made a shade shelter out of a tarp? If so how did you do it?
I am going to see if we have any poles in the barn at all, or anything we could possibly use to help support it. I'm thinking we can tie the tarp to the top of the trailer, and possibly the top of the SUV if we can figure out something to help support the other end. As a last resort we could always park the SUV next to the trailer, and tie the tarp to the top of the trailer & top of the SUV and have a shady spot in between them?

Anyway, I can't believe I didn't try to figure this out sooner, but I'm thinking we'll definitely have to make our own shade unless we want to park far far away from the barn and well...that's not an option.

·
Super Moderator
58,246 Posts
Good luck. I would think you should be able to make a shade area with a tarp somehow. Just a matter of figuring out how.

·
I'm watching you
22,153 Posts
Park the SUV like 12 feet from the trailer. Then slam ropes in the doors on the off side of the SUV (put a knot at the end so they won't pull out). Run the ropes over the SUV to the trailer and use them to tie your tarps off to.
You could run one from the back rope slanted to the ground and stake it down. Then another from rope to rope to make a lean to of sorts. Then people will have to come around front to pet your goats.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
We did that but finally bought an easy-up tent its like a big square umbrella a worth every penny we paid for it as we use it for other things.

·
goat girl x0x0
2,478 Posts
If you can find a cheap marquee (i think thats the same thing as what enchanted goats was saying) it would be totally worth it.

·
14,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! They ended up fixing up the barn next to the show barn with some pens that we were able to make work, whew! Worked out great, because we had the whole barn to ourselves <set up was for beef/sheep mostly, so young/market goats could get out of most of the stalls>.

I definitely want to get one of those canopy tents you guys are talking about. Someone had one at a show we were at last night and it was nice and set up quickly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts