Shadow

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Hailee's Herd, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    Hi, I was wondering what could be wrong with my Nubian Shadow. All of a sudden today she has been sluggish, and stayed in the barn laying in a corner for most of the day. Normal stools, but she was grinding her teeth. Not sure what could be wrong. Usually all day they are all outside eating grass or just walking around. Let me know what you think.
    Thanks everyone.

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    is she preg? or have a temp?

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    first of all if a goat is not acting right ,,take their temperature,,look over your goat for any wounds,,, problems ect, ,see if they are bloated or not , it could from pneumonia ect, that needs antibiotics................ to a simple tummy ache that doesn't.

4. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    grinding teeth usually means they are in paid
    but it could be anything from a sprained leg to an upset stomache

5. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    I haven't taken her temp, no she isn't pregnant. I have never taken a temp on a goat before. I will send you a video of her tomorrow and how she acts. She ate a couple of bites of her grain tonight and then layed back down in the corner.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sorry I didnt open this earlier, for some reason I jsut skipped by it.

I would give her some baking soda as it sounds like she maybe bloated.

you take a goats temp by lubricating a thermometer (digital is best) and then stick it in rectally. Dont worry about going to far in, the end isnt long enough to hurt her.

7. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    We called the vet out for Shadow today. He gave her two shots. He said she had congestion in the lungs and had labored breathing. Her temp was only one degree over. Going to go get some Gatorade and shoot it down her throat.
    Hope she gets better. Thanks everyone.

8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Sending good thoughts for Shadow today! Hope she's back on her feet soon and acting like herself!

9. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    Thank you.
    I don't think she will make it. She is really weak, grinding her teeth, and grunting. Gave her gatorade and water and animal cookies. nothing I can do. I hope she makes it.
    :worried: :tears: :mecry:

10. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh goodness, I am so sorry. So they're not sure what's wrong with her or ??? I sure hope she pulls through for you! Prayers headed your way!

11. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    He never really said what was wrong. Just gave her two shots, antibiotic and an aspirin type thing. I don't think there is really anyway to treat whatever she has. she is in a lot of pain, you can just tell.
    thanks I am so upset right now.

12. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    ((((HUGS)))) Hang in there... :hug:

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hailee...A big :hug: , and lots of :pray: to help you and Shadow thru this.

14. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    Thank you Liz.
    She is still doing bad. She is in a lot of pain.

15. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Could this goat have an overload of cocci? Not all cocci problems present with scours. I would give her a good shot of B Complex and treat for cocci. I would also call the vet and find out exactly what shots were given and the reasoning behind them. If you treat for cocci with Sulmet or similar you will also need to give a Thiamine shot after the treatment is over as Sulfa will deplete B-1.

16. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    No, I don't think she has cocci. Isn't that usually in goat kids? She is a year old. She has normal stools too. He gave her Banamine and A-180. Thanks

17. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Is she utd on her CDT shots?

18. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    If a goat has bloat do they still have normal bowel movements?
    I gave her baking soda like Stacey said and she drank some water.

19. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thats good that she drank water, she needs to stay hydrated, not sure about the poop staying normal with bloat...I've not dealt with that. Hope she is doing better for you.