Shaking weak kid

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by JessaLynn, Dec 10, 2009.

1. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I'm really concerned with one of my does kids.They were born Nov 30th and we just disbudded both boys Monday night.Well since then he has been acting lethargic.Not bouncing all over like his brother.Just walks around shaking or trembeling.I made him up a bottle because his belly seemed empty and was worried he wasn't nursing from mom.He ate 5 oz of it.He's still shaken and I'm scared something is wrong. :sigh: What would cause him to shake and act weak like? What should I do? :help:

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Does he have a temp?

Since he hasn't acted right since disbudding I would suspect swelling of he brain.

3. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    The look in his eyes are alittle unnerving to me.I suspected that as well.We didn't disbudd this little one.Our friend did it to show us how it's done and I was concerned because he held it on his head for like 15 seconds but kept going over it again and again.I don't know if it was just me or what but it seemed to take for ever.That was my first disbudding experience so I'm not sure on everything.Our friend has done it for years so I took he knew what he was doing and seemed to.I don't know what could be the matter but if it is brain swelling...what can I do to help him? I'll go get a temp on him now.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Get a temp on the baby.....if it is sub temp....you will have to warm up the baby...

The de-horning may of caused alot of stress.....

Now if... the little one ..has a temp... it could be pneumonia.....

If the temp is OK ...then I would say as runaround said.... swelling... then I would give something for pain.....and swelling....

Give vit B to stimulate appetite.....

you are doing the right thing ...on giving the baby the bottle... it is so important.. to make sure the belly has something in it..... good eye.. :thumbup: Also try to encourage the baby to suckle from mom as well....
    Did you ever see the kid getting the teat? If not ...may have to be taught...

Good luck... :hug: :pray:

5. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Ok temp is 103.1 He just nursed from mom while I was out there which is really good sign.Yeah he has nursed from her since day 1.What do you give for pain and swelling? Somebody told me childrens motrin 2cc?

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    some kids bounce back better then others. I would keep bottle feeding him till he is strong enough to nurse on his own.

I have seen kids who are weak just not able to make the attempt at nursing and then they go down hill from there.

just saw that he is nursing from mom -- thats good, might be that he just needed to get more energy to make that attempt again after his ordeal

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Alright ....glad to hear the baby is doing better.... :) childrens mortin is hard on the liver ...
    I would use baby aspirin....instead....not positive on the dosage though.. :wink:

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    103 is a bit high for the cold temps we are experiencing - so if the asprin doesnt work then I would start him on antibiotics for infection.

you can give him a whole aspirin

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    What do you mean by the look of his eyes? Are his pupils even and reactive to light? Can he see? Are his eyes twitching?

10. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I don't have baby asprin..have to make a trip to store.I can't really explain about his eyes.They just look different..like he's not feeling well.Not twitching and he can see that I know of.His one eye seems to be watering.You know how you can tell people are not feeling well by their eyes..especially kids? That's what it looks like to me.He has a weak cry to.Not strong and loud but half cut off. :sigh: I think it really stressed him out.I did give him a CD&T shot before his disbudding...could that have any affect on him to?

11. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I would try to shine a light in his eyes, if his pupils don't react or one stays big then you need to get him to a vet asap. They can give him Dexamethazone for Brain swelling, but that takes down the immune system so they would also need to give antibiotics.

I wouldn't give baby aspirin, I would give a regular adult aspirin.

12. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Ok pupils are normal.Both responded to the light and nothing else seems off. :scratch: Should I try getting him warm..maybe he's just cold? none of the others are shaking though.They are penned inside with no drafts.It's freezing out and the wind is super cold.Should I try the asprin still?

13. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, I would give the aspirin.

14. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Thanks so much for all of your help.I swear I would be lost without this place :wink: I'll go buy some adult asprin and hopefuly it will help him. I'll keep ya'll posted!

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You are so welcome ...that is what we are here for.... :hug:

make sure it is regular strength aspirin ..if you don't want to get baby aspirin..

If you have a heat lamp....... I would maybe use that.. until he gets better.....if the temps are real cold... or put on a sweater.

16. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Got the asprin and just relized....How do I give it to him? Since he doesn't eat solid food yet I can't put it in anything.Should I crush it and mix it in a bottle of warm milk?

17. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    crush it and mix it in water and gently syringe into his mouth.

18. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    You can crush it and give it that way. I use childrens motrin on kids as the liquid is much easier. If the baby is cold you can throw some towels in the dryer to warm them up. Wrap him in the warm towels or set him in the dryer(off) snuggled down in the warm towels. Keep the door open and talk to him and he should start responding.

19. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Ok I crushed it and put it in his milk and he drank the bottle.I also put a sweater on him just in case he needs warmed up.Wind chill is below zero here brrrr :snowhat: I hope he'll snap out of it and everything will be fine. :sigh:

20. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Baby aspirin is 82mg .... look at your package and if it is a 325 break off 1/3 and you will be close enough