The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have show boers who like to lay out in the rain. So their white bodies are a yellowish color now. I used cowboy magic a couple times cause I've seen some suggest it on here but that just doesn't cut it. Anything else I can try?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
There's a horse shampoo called quick silver that works wonders. You leave it on for 10 minutes, rinse it off and you'll have a perfectly white goat. ;)

·
2,203 Posts
We like oxyclean and orvus on our Saanen and Holsteins.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Be careful with bleach... A litttle goes a very, very long way.

I like dawn dish liquid with oxi boost or whatever it is for stains. I also use vetrolin horse whitening shampoos. I use cowboy magic for coarse hair to soften it up a bit but I agree, Its not ideal for stains on white animals

·
Registered
572 Posts
This just reminded me of a funny story. I raise and show cashmere goats. In the summer time when they are completely out of fleece I have given them a bath, especially the bucks. I had this gorgeous white buck and it was the day before we were leaving for the Estes Wool Market in June. I had just purchase him and was going to show him and he got a bath. I used the Bright Lights shampoo (which is purple) well he had just a little bit of fiber left over on him on his shoulder I think it was.

Well anyone who deals with cashmere fiber knows how well cashmere takes dye. Yes folks, he had a lovely light shade of purple patch on his shoulder for the show LOL whoops. I now use dawn soap or head n tail hahaha

Just thought I'd share for a chuckle lol

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
That is funny Sammy :lol: I will be putting these suggestions into action next showing season.. One bath just doesn't always cut it!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's pretty funny! Haha if you leave that stuff on too long before scrubbing or washing it will stain them! Do I use any dawn or is there a certain color? Like we use blue for fleas on dogs

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I use the orange color dawn but any will work.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I spray peroxide on stains. For baking soda I'd add a table spoon to the bottle of shampoo... I know someone who does that.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Like Dani said, you can spray the peroxide on, mix the baking powder with the shampoo, or you can just mix however much baking powder with the peroxide until you get a paste. You can also mix the peroxide and baking soda paste with some shampoo. The amount really depends on how much you need, just put some powder in a dish and add a small amount of peroxide, mix until you get a paste, add more peroxide and baking powder as needed :)

·
The more time we spend with goats, the wiser we be
1,625 Posts
Hello,

This is kind of an off topic question, but then again it isn't.

What is the difference between all these brand name livestock shampoos and our human shampoos?

Thank you,

Patrick

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Livestock shampoos will usually have stain removers and be a littlw more concentrated. Where as human shampoo is more on conditioning hair and not removing stains

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
When you get down to it, price is the biggest difference. The second difference is the livestock shampoo's don't strip as much oil from the hair and may whiten, but you can go to the dollar store and get puppy shampoo that works just as good if you use some conditioner to follow. Or use Dawn dishsoap.
You can use whatever shampoo you have laying around if you want, I use bar soap sometimes, just use a bit of conditioner after.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts