The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you share photos of how you set up your kidding/mom and kids stall?

Please show any areas you set up for your kids to stay warm as well. Like photos of where you put heat lamps and how that area is set up.

Thank you in advance. We are hoping to get ideas for this years kidding season.

Thank you!!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I don’t have any pictures, but we use a 5’ x 10’ dog kennel (from TSC when on sale) for kidding and bonding if necessary. The heat lamp is in the back corner and food and water is in the front.

Just recently, most of our does now kid in the communal maternity area in the barn - no kidding or bonding stall necessary for most. The kids have access to a creep area from day 1 to escape from the other moms, have heat lamp access, and have unlimited grain (which they don’t really care about for the first few weeks). It seems to be working well.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Carlie for responding to this question.

Could you share a photo of your creep stall? I know it’s a weird question maybe but everyone sets up their kidding and or creep stall area differently I’m sure. I would like to see how people set up these areas. If your able to share a photo that would be helpful. Thank you!

Hope all is going well for your farm and the moms and kids!

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Mine is pretty simple, I wanted something that is easy to put up and also take down and store when I'm not kidding. I'll try and explain what I did the best I can because I know it looks a little over whelming lol
So if you look at my barn "walls" here you will see that I have 2X4s (actually they are all kinds of sizes I used scrap wood) every 6' (my stalls are 6X4 but you can adjust it) excuse the mess, and me, this is the only picture I have that shows what I did
IMG_2034.jpg

Ok all my stall walls are 4' and on one end has a 2X4. The 2X4s give kinda a lip to attach everything together. So I get a end that doesn't have a 2X4 and I screw onto the barn wall coming out. Then another onto that stall wall to make the corner. Then my gate goes in (2' wide) and the other end of the stall attaches to the barn wall. My hinges on the gate is hay strings so I just drilled holes threw the OSB and 2X4, which the 2X4 keeps it a little more sturdy. Anyways these are all the pics I have to try and show all that messy explaining lol
IMG_2030.jpg
IMG_2031.jpg
IMG_2032.jpg
IMG_2033.jpg

For a safe spot while everything is up the gates for the stalls, the kids can actually fit threw. I have to staple feed sacks on to keep new borns from going out when I want them in a stall. Anyways I just pull a few feed sacks off the doors at the stalls at the very end and hang some heat lamps. They are like moths to those lights! Then when I can stalls go down and then the creep feeder goes up where those end stalls are. They are used to that being their area so it's very easy for them to know to go in there. I don't have a picture of my creep feeder but it's just panels and then a gate with larger holes for them to fit threw

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
While this situation was not ideal..this was what we had.
We had to set our kidding pen up in our garage. We placed a large harbor freight tarp on the ground, and covered it with lots of straw. We ended up building a wall down the center and put the heat lamp in the middle so the light/heat could shine on both sections. Our does kidded in February. Not sure if this helps since it isn't a 'kidding stall' but it worked for us! We are hoping to get something better in the future. ;)
IMG_0352.jpg

·
Registered
603 Posts
This is ours but when we have multiple mothers kid, we have to clean out the chicken pens to use. Also the pen usually has more stuff in it like hay and water and is clean. I believe it’s a dog kennel from Tractor Supply. We put it on concrete for easy cleaning. The tarp is around the back for extra shade, wind protection, and a bit of privacy that makes the kids feel safe sleeping in the corner. We have a separate kid pen for bottle babies and weaning dam raised kids.

Attachments

·
Registered
842 Posts
Our does have an area that is 10' x 36'. We take cattle panels with welded wire and use those as dividers for 1/3 of that area (just how it worked easiest). We split that into two with panels if we have two that kid around the same time.

We don't pen anyone up for kidding, but once they kid we move the mama and babies to their own area. After 3 or so days I'll let them back in with the herd during the day then separate them out at night until the kids are about 2 weeks old.

Not great pics but you can sort of see how we have it. The cattle panels are great because they are easy to handle (we use the 8' handy panels, not the 16' ones) and bendable as needed.

626EE343-D6C0-40DE-BF51-89DA7486E7BA.jpeg
EB88F541-A857-4713-AA03-E83EC91B03A2.jpeg
79D1249A-683E-4085-84F6-669A84509FBD.jpeg
79D21F7E-B49B-48D5-B751-24ABAB57E9E8.jpeg

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Wow. This is really a neat thread! Amazing how all the areas make sense and are very useful
20191205_075438.jpg
I built a 24 ft wide by 30 ft long barn out of pallets and sheet metal/ old barn tin.
20191205_075428.jpg

I use the plastic 1200 gallon water transport conainer for my private pods for my new moms. Plastic is easy to keep clean and warm in our super cold winter.
20191214_104009.jpg
I put down plywood floors over pallets to keep all little ones off of wet & freezing ground.
20191231_082626.jpg

This is a Spanish doe with her twins about a day old.

I hang 2 heat lamps on the ceiling joist on chains and nails. They are about 6 ft high. I point them toward the pods, but only on 20° or less . It keeps the dog auto waterers from freezing & the kidds from freezing.
I run cattle panels between the pods. So each doe& kidd have privacy for the first week. After that they come down.

·
Registered
1 Posts
While this situation was not ideal..this was what we had.
We had to set our kidding pen up in our garage. We placed a large harbor freight tarp on the ground, and covered it with lots of straw. We ended up building a wall down the center and put the heat lamp in the middle so the light/heat could shine on both sections. Our does kidded in February. Not sure if this helps since it isn't a 'kidding stall' but it worked for us! We are hoping to get something better in the future. ;)
View attachment 181609
that's a nice set-up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts