Share Milking Area and Milk machines etc.

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Gooseberry Creek, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Gooseberry Creek

Gooseberry Creek Active Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Florida
    Please share about your milk stand/milk stool, milking area and your method of milking..machine brand, hands,other storage methods, etc.
    ~Pics are most welcome or you can just tell us about it.
    Organizing ideas or things you need to keep out in the milking area would be good.

I am trying to get ideas for setting up and organizing a milking area. Dh gave me one of his old metal tool chests that has a table-like top on it to keep my milk type stuff in. We will be building the milk stand. I have both Lamanchas and Nigerian Dwarfs.
    I am currently converting an old metal garage/shed building (with a 3 car covered attached carport) into a couple kidding stalls and in the front area will be my milk stand etc. There is electicity out there and a hose spigot on the back outside corner. Its a 17ft x14 ft. building.

I will probably start out hand milking but I will be looking for a milk machine .
    If people could share what brand they have and what they like or don't like about it, that would be great!

MadHouse and Feira426 like this.
  2. Feira426

Feira426 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    I still don’t have much of a setup, but I’m eager to see other people’s replies.

Mine is about as simple as it gets. I have a little stand on my porch that my farrier made me, with a bench built onto it, but prior to that I just sat on the floor. I bring in the doe to be milked, give her udder a quick wipe with a clean towel, milk a few squirts from each teat into a bowl for the cats, and then start into the pail. I hand milk still - like I said, very basic here. Lol. Milk out as much as I can, take the goat back out, take the pail inside, pour into a half gallon jar and mark with a date, and into the fridge it goes. Then I put my empty pail in the freezer so I don’t have to wash it every single milking.

I will say I love my pail. I used to use a bowl and if the goat moved the bowl spilled. This pail tends to slide instead of tipping over. I almost never lose any milk now. I also keep the filter and funnel on the pail when I milk so the milk is filtered as it goes in. Then when I take it inside, the milk can just go straight into the jar, I can give the filter a quick wash if it looks a bit dirty, but sometimes I do a few milkings in between washes since I keep the pail and filter in the freezer.

I feed hay after milking to keep the goats on their feet until the orifices close up. I’d like to get a teat sealant of some kind for after milking (only heard about those recently) but haven’t found one yet. Surprisingly my local farm store doesn’t carry any, despite having plenty of other goats supplies. I suppose I’ll end up ordering something online.

MadHouse and Gooseberry Creek like this.

3. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    "Fight Bac" is a great teat sealant. Its for "cows", but is perfectly safe for goats. Comes in a black and white aerosol can that lasts a long time if you only have a few goats. Spray on after every milking.

GoofyGoat, Sfgwife, MadHouse and 3 others like this.
  4. Gooseberry Creek

Jun 3, 2020
    Florida
    Feira, You have an efficient system for milking and getting everything done quickly. It sounds like you have a permanent type of milk filter? What is the brand name on that? I've only seen the throw way paper filters. It would be nice to have a permanent milk filter!
    I like the tip about keeping the pail in the feezer. It would get the milk colder faster.
    We have a lot of cats around here too. Once they figure out where the milk comes from they will probably go nuts trying to get it lol!!

Goats Rock, good tip about the Fight Bac! I will have to look for some.

MadHouse, Feira426 and Kass like this.
  5. Feira426

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    Yes, I have heard of Fight Bac. I will have to have another look at the feed store.

Can I paste a link here? I’ve never tried. I guess we’ll find out. This is the filter I have: https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-De...=milk+filter+and+funnel&qid=1606780170&sr=8-4

You can buy the funnel with a filter, or just a filter, or I think you can get a pair of filters also. I have a couple of filters so I can swap them out if I’m in a hurry and don’t have time to clean one. And I bought the funnel because the filters fit on it perfectly.

I love these filters - the only downside is they don’t really wash well in the dishwasher. They’re supposed to be dishwasher safe, but I’ve found that little goat hairs and bits of dirt tend to get trapped in the rim if I run them through the dishwasher. However, hand washing them is quick and easy, so I don’t mind.

Yeah, I like to keep it pretty simple. Don’t want to turn milking into a huge chore, since I have to do it twice every day. I work and homeschool two kids so I try to make chores easy on myself whenever I can!

Gooseberry Creek likes this.
  6. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    A good seamless stainless steel bucket with lid. I use the paper filters sometimes but i use butter muslin doubled more often now that i am milking a cow too. The cow milk goes sooo slow through a paper filter. A food safe sanitizer for spraying all my things after they are washed every day. I cannot imagine not washing everything after every use.

GoofyGoat and Gooseberry Creek like this.
  7. Feira426

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    Wow, you milk a cow too? What is that like?

I just figure if the milk is already filtered and clean going into the pail, then if I freeze the pail immediately after emptying it, I can easily milk several times without any of the milk residue on the pail ever being at room temp for more than about thirty minutes to an hour.

8. Gooseberry Creek

Jun 3, 2020
    Florida
    Sfgwife, A stainless bucket is definitely on my list. I didn't think about the lid but that makes sense especially with all the trees and stuff on the path from the barn to the house! Good tips on the lid and the sanitizer!
    Do you wash the butter muslim by hand or the washing mashine? Do you use the sanitzier on it too?
    Feira, Thanks for the link for the filter!!
    I agree we need to be able to milk and still have a life lol. Thats why I am trying to get organized and figure it all out now.
    I got the wood for the milk stand and we are going to start building it. Just gotta figure out how to make it adjustable for NDs and Lamanchas. Dh is pretty good at figuring that kind of stuff out though.

What kind of goats are you all milking?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    Feira426 likes this.
  9. Feira426

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    I have Mini Nubians and an Alpine mix. But my stand is just a stand right now - I don’t have a stanchion on it yet. I don’t think I’ve seen an adjustable one before, but I’m sure you could figure out something creative to fit all your goats. :)

All I have on mine is a leash at the front that I can clip onto my girls’ collars if they get very uncooperative, lol. Super low tech here. I would like some kind of wooden headlock for the front of it sometime. That’d be super handy!! Just haven’t gotten to it yet.

If you figure something out that can be adapted for your different sized goats, please share!!

10. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    72D82033-4DDE-44ED-855E-1053AD0FEBCE.jpeg

We had our first calf here three and a half months ago. We calf share with Dozer. Separate at night and i milk until Bess’s faucet is turned off and then let dozer in to finish. She gifts me about 10 cups in the morning.

Milkin Bess is like milking a big teated goat. Lol. Same thing just different. The pic was a bit over a month ago. They are dexters. ;).

Gooseberry Creek and Feira426 like this.
  11. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    I wash the butter muslin by hand and spray sanitizer on it daily. When it smells funky after i wash it i just throw it out and get a new piece. It is cheap. But a piece easily lasts me a month. I use Star sanitizer and it does not need be rinsed.

12. Feira426

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
  13. Michaela Van Mecl

Michaela Van Mecl Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Do you have a link to your reusable filters? My funnel came with one but I didn't feel like it was trapping everything, so very interested in seeing what works for you!

14. Feira426

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    Yes, the link you quoted there should be the right one. I believe you can choose between the funnel or the filters on that one item page, so it may be a tad confusing.

They feel like a sort of nylon cloth. Very easy to clean and very, very fine. I haven’t seen a speck of anything in the milk since we switched to these. I’m very happy with them!

15. CBPitts

CBPitts Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2020
    Oregon
    After years of hand milking in a shed both goats and cow I finally decided to build a barn.

A good milk room was important as was a kitchenette with hot and cold water. I broke both wrists a couple years ago (as we were building the barn) and I can’t haul stuff from the barn to the house all the time nor can I hand milk anymore.

My machine is an ancient 1920’s Delaval and it’s a work horse! It’s mounted on a shelf outside the milk room and everything in plumbed through the wall into the milk room.

I have a 2 goat stand and I use 2 goat attachments on an old converted Surge bucket. There is a door (blue in pics) that goes straight to milk does loafing area. This way I don’t have to catch and lead to the stand, I just open the door and the first pair comes in.

The kitchenette is next to the milk room and has counters and a sink with a 12 gallon water heater set up. I have clean in place lines so I just fill each side of the sink and suck a soapy mix through then a vinegar mix. Once a day I use a diluted food grade sanitizer.

Right now I have a small fridge in the corner but I’ll be looking for a big fridge/freezer soon.

I always have a few stainless milk buckets, wipes, fightbac, funnels and filters, teat dip, uddermint, and clean glass jars with a bucket and ice packs to chill my milk right away.

I only keep 1/2 gallon a day for the house and the rest feeds pigs or gets frozen.

The kitchenette has all my meds, syringes, cleaners, and wound care.

We built the whole thing on a budget ourselves but the barn came from a kit. It’s engineered and after you set the ground poles a big truck drops off everything you need to build it including blueprints. The 24x36 barn was 4K and everything else we built as we went and had time and money available.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GoofyGoat and Gooseberry Creek like this.
  16. Michaela Van Mecl

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks! Definitely going to try that. The disposable filters aren't cheap!

17. Michaela Van Mecl

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Another nod to the fight bac. It seems a bit expensive but that single can will last me, with milking two goats twice a day, over 6 months. It's well worth it! And it is soooo convenient.

no

18. Gooseberry Creek

Jun 3, 2020
    Florida
    CBPitts that is a fantastic setup! Goals for sure lol. I love how convenient it is for you to be able to wash up everything right next to the milking parlor! You guys did a great job too. I appreciate all the photos and list of items you use.

We have pigs too (Kunekunes) What kind di you raise?

I was toying with asking dh to put a little hot water heater out in our barn haha. We plan to move in a year, or maybe sooner because we desperately need a bigger property and want to get further outside the city, so I have a feeling he won't want to mess with getting hot water yet. When we move, I'm going to though!

19. CBPitts

CBPitts Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2020
    Oregon
    [mention]Gooseberry Creek [/mention] you can always take the hot water heater with you. I know I would!

I hadn’t intended to quite as all out as we did but I’m really glad we did. It all makes a difference. Especially with the problems I have with my wrists and arms now.

As for pigs, we just buy around 6 to 12 weaners a year in the late summer or early fall. They’re usually Hampshire or Yorkshire crosses and we give them all the milk I don’t use or sell. I only sell for craft/animal consumption and I’ve always been able to sell everything we weren’t using, mostly to wildlife rescues but this year the buyers weren’t there. I did donate 50 gallons to my favorite rescue but the rest went to a few individual buyers for bummer lambs and such and the rest was fed to the pigs.