The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have almost 7 month old pygmy and Nigerian dwarf doelings, and the summers here are hot. It's been in the 90s the past week and very humid. So I was wondering if they were okay or should they be shaved? Idk how their body works with the heat! My pygmy has really thick hair and I've been brushing her. My ND has super thin hair. Just thought I'd get y'all's opinions since I'm not sure how they adjust to the heat!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay! Even though they're still young it should be okay? And does it matter what kind of clippers? I've never done this lol

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Yeah, they should be fine, I clip mine as young as 8 weeks. Any kind of animal clippers you have will work, or if you don't have any people clippers will work.
I shave them at either 1/4 of and inch, 1/8 of an inch, or 1/16 of an inch, depending on how hot its going to be and for how long. I shave shorter if it will be hot for a few months, and go longer if there is less of summer left.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for the help! Would you shave the entire body...or leave long hair in certain spots?

·
Registered
979 Posts
I shave four goats, all but the face and with a pair of $20 wahl clippers from walmart for people that have lasted four years and are just now on their last leg.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts