Shaving/clipping Udders

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Jenna, May 20, 2009.

1. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    How do you do it? I have my way I do it but just wondering how and when you clip, for shows/ pictures. A silly question but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway, Thanks!!
  2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Jenna, There are never silly questions. :dance:
    I do not have to sheer so I can not answer you, but I have always wondered how it was done.

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I use Oster A5 clippers with a #30 blade for udders, its gives the udder a really close shave.
  4. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

We usually clip udders the day before a show with a #40 blade :) We also use the Oster A5 turbo clippers
  5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    the doe needs to be full so I clip usualy a couple days before but do a nice trim up right before the show if needed
  6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I usually get up early and shave udders the morning of the show. First i clip them with an Oster A5 style clipper with at least a size 40 blade. 40 is surgical. I then get those cheap bic disposal razors some hair conditioner and a bucket of warm water. i lather the udder with conditioner, and shave like you would shave your legs.
  7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have a hard enough time doing the half fast clip on my does with cheap Wahl's....I can't imagine them standing for a "real" shave!

I only clip when their close to kidding...not bare but enough to see the udder forming, then when I start to milk and it's warmer outside I do a closer trim with the clippers...just to keep their udders easier to clean and it keeps most of the stray hairs out of my milk pail.
  8. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Thanks, I guess I am doing it right!!

Beth, how DO you get them to stand still???
  9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Well my does are all shown three or four times a year, i clip kids around three months old for the first time. I guess they just get used to being messed with. I do feet every month. I have never really had a doe that was bouncing all over while i was doing her udder.
  10. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Mine move a lot. :ROFL: