The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My clem is getting close to kidding time and needs to be shaved. We have struggled for the last few months with mites on and off and I can tell she is really annoyed by them. I have tried everything to get rid of them but she seems to be prone. She is a heavy very fluffy white goat. Can I shave her down now? I is in the 60's most days and I house her in a goat house at night. I just thought if I could get rid of some of the hair I could manage it better.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Do you have any blades/attachments for your clippers that would leave the hair a bit longer? If not, It shouldn't be a big deal to shave her down completely but you may need to blanket her if there is a cold spell.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
you are probably dealing with LIce - and once its in the bedding its hard to get rid of off the goat. what have you used to treat her for the bugs?

you can shave her -- but she will be cold at night -- make sure you have a coat for her.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree- it is lice. I shaved her down but not all the way. I change the bedding daily. There is NOTHING on the floor during the day time. I have used vet rx, DE and another powder (from TSC). All of them have worked it just keeps returning. She seems much more comfortable now. When you shave for show do you go all the way down (a close shave)? It took forever to shave her and I left about 1/2 inch of hair all around. I guess it was good practice for fair season. I could use some improvement :)

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hope so because-well... I guess it is a good thing I don't cut hair!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts