The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Myotonic and Nigerian dwarf goats
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m considering shaving my goats, or at least get clippers, I figured I need some anyway for when I start breeding, to shave the does back end before kidding, here are my questions. Should I shave my white goats? How do I make sure they don’t get burned? What clippers do you recommend? Will shaving help my goats battle the heat and humidity better? Should I shave goats every spring/summer? How low do I go for just a summer cut? These are just a few of my questions, I’m sure I’ll have more 😂

·
Registered
146 Posts
I don't know much about goat shaving, but I do have clippers to recommend. I got them a couple of months ago to shave goat udders and groom poodles. They work amazing so far. This one is kind of pricey, but I tried a cheaper one ($30) and it died after 4 uses so I think it's worth it in the long run to buy a better one and not have to replace it constantly.

·
8,495 Posts
Trimming them up, will help keep them cooler, but doing a show clip will actually cause more problems with sunburn, insect bites, etc.
White goats will burn, miserably. One note, if you do clip, wash the goat and let dry. Your clipper blades will last a lot longer on clean
goats. Clipping will help get rid of lice- after you clip, give another quick bath!

Regarding clippers- cheap human ones will burn out, they aren't made for the coarse goat hair. The old "you get what you pay for" really
does apply to clippers!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts