shaving goats

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by moday, Sep 6, 2009.

1. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Do you have to shave goats once a year? We had five goats and took 3 to the community fair. We shaved those 3, and so far have not shaved the other two. Is there a reason to shave those two, or will they shed and grow new hair naturally? All 5 are boer goats, and we live in Michigan. Please advise.

Thanks, MODAY

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    No you do not have to shave goats at all. Shaving is basically for showing (most shows don't require shaving though) and if you have REALLY hot weather...like here, it got up to 104 degrees for a few days so I shaved several of my goats that really needed it. Shaving is also good to keep lice away. Shaving for shows helps the judge look at conformation better.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I never shaved my goats until I started showing. Goats hair falls out on its own and regrows -- like a dogs does

4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    The only clipping we do on the Boers is right before a show. Since I dont have halfway decent clippers & dont know how to do it we just clip around the feet and tail.
    If you are married dont pick clipping time to get into an argument with the clippers on. The poor goat was all botched up & the judge prolclaimed "This goat might have worms or lice due to her shaggy coat"
    The next show I was standing next to my friend & her haphazardly clipped girl.
    When another judge got ready to look her over I should have said,"You & dh fighting over the clippers again eh?"