Shaving Q for Washington residents

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by ZipperDoo, May 24, 2010.

1. ZipperDoo

ZipperDoo Member

Apr 18, 2010
    So, anyone in Washington is probably well aware of the bizarre weather we've been having recently. I'm debating whether or not to shave my goats down yet. Is it too cold out...? Penny always sleeps by herself, and the boys always cuddle together, but it still gets really chilly out there.

Too early, or should I wait another week or two?

We don't have a dedicated barn set up, but we do have a temporary tarp enclosure. If we had an actual barn I wouldn't be so concerned, but that's not in the cards just yet.

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Unless you are showing, I would wait at least another couple weeks. It has been cold! At least where we are (Yakima area). I'm really wanting to shave down some of my girls, but i'll just have to hang on for a bit longer.

3. ZipperDoo

ZipperDoo Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Thanks. I'm new to the whole goat thing. I want to see how the goaties look in their summer do's, but I'm terrified of them getting too cold, and not particularly eager to have them snoozing in the kitchen again. LOL

4. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    With our weather being cold one day and warm the next...I would wait to shave until the weather stays warm for awhile. What type of goats do you have that need to be shaved?