Shaving Question

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Charrae, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Charrae

Charrae New Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Oakdale, CA
    So, I'v got a pygmy buck whos a very hairy guy. It gets really hot here and Im not sure how to go about shaving him, or if I should leave him hairy/ :whatgoat: I'v had him sense 2002, but just got him on my property and under my care, so I'm tying to do whats best for him. He is an older guy so I want the summer to be easy as possible on him.
    Thanks!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    careful with shaving if he is a light colored goat he can get sunburn.

you can shave with a horse clipper or with a dog clipper and a #10 blade

3. Charrae

Charrae New Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Oakdale, CA
    Hes black, I have the stuff to shave him with and know how to shave, I was just curious if there was a special way to shave pygmy bucks? Like with dairy goats you have the dairy clip or show clip.
    Thanks!

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    pygmy goats arent shaved for show so you can shave him anyway you like unless you plan on showing and then I wouldnt shave him at all

5. Agreed. Does he have horns?

6. Charrae

Charrae New Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Oakdale, CA
    ok, thanks. and nope no horns

7. Well, with no horns he could deff get overheated. If need be this summer run water over him to cool him down.

8. Charrae

Charrae New Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Oakdale, CA
    alright, I plan on it, thanks again :)

9. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    If he's dark, and your summer temps get over 85-90, I'd shave him. Get an Oster A10 horse clipper with a number 10 blade. Wash him first or you'll ruin the blades in one clipping. Try to leave his spine a bit longer than the rest, if not, run a bead of SPF 30 sunscreen down his back and on his ears. Clipping is also the best way to get rid of any mites or other nasties that may be building villages in his hair.