Shaving Udders

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by KW Farms, Feb 22, 2011.

1. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    What do you use to get your udders show ready? I have heard several different ways, but what do you use? What size blade do you use if you shave them with clippers?

Trying to find out what works best. :ponder:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I use a #40 blade

ifyou want an even closer shave you can use a #50 blade

both the 40 and 50 are surgical blades so they get real close

3. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Hey Stacey (and KW Farms & other breeders out there too! :greengrin: ), I'm interested to know what other show people use OVERALL for shaving... body, legs, udders, the works...

Talked to a few other local breeders/show people last year and was amazed at the variety of blades used to clip just a single animal! Was also amazed at the detailed timeline...such as 'Clip body X days before show, clip legs X days before show, clip udder x days before show, re-touch udder x hours before ringtime, etc...'

4. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I have an Oster A5 clipper with the 10 blade for body clipping. The 3 blade works good for legs, but i've used 10 on the legs and it works fine too.

I usually clip the entire body a week or two before the show. Udder 1-2 days before or that same show day. I am ordering the 50 blade from Jeffers to see if I like that better for udder clipping.

I usually don't have an exact time/day before showing to get the goat ready, it kind of varies between goats. Some have markings/colors that work better for clipping just a few days before showing as where some I need to clip a couple weeks before the show. Udders usually get clipped at the same time though.

5. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Awesome! I think i'm going to get the 50 blade and see how I like it.

6. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Oh, I also found the surgical blades at Sally's Beauty Supply... that way I didn't have to pay for shipping, and w/a coupon it wasn't that much $$ either. Just FYI.... :wink:
    Ebay was another good option too...but I just LOVE ebay...so maybe its me. :greengrin:

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    for the body I use my big horse clippers which have the 84 and 85 AU blades, they are equivalent to the #10 blade which is what I use for the face and legs only because the big clipper is hard to get in those small spots.

I shave everything a week or less before the show and then I touch up the udder either the night before or at the show

8. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    We usually conditioned rabbits starting a month before the show to get them in bloom, so was wondering if you condition goats before a show also? What kind of feeding schedule do you do to get them ready for show day or is it conditioning through exercise like sheep?

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    dairy goats you dont want to overfeed, they wont do well in the show. They need to be lean and "dairy-like"

I dont do much for my goats before show besides what I normally do -- I want them in good shape through out the year and then when show time comes its no biggy about how they look (besides shaving). I feed and care for them like any day could be show day.

10. black-smith

black-smith New Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Canada
    I use a #5 blade to body clip within a week of the show (my does are black and they look VERY bald if their hair is too short)

Or a #10 two weeks before the show, to give it a chance to grow in a bit, makes them look sleek and shiney!

Usually a #40 blade for the udder, and then re-clip it the day before the show :)

11. comingsummers

comingsummers New Member

May 6, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    How long should the hair actually be? I see all these blade numbers, but what do those numbers translate into as far as actual length? Thanks?

12. black-smith

black-smith New Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Canada
    The higher the blade number, the shorter the hair will be. A 40 or 50 blade will be nearly bald, which is great for udders.

It really depnds on the breed,
    I have Nubians, and they are mostly dark red in color. I like the hair to be about a quarter inch long on show day (#10 blade 1 week before show)

If you have black or white does, I find it's best to clip with a 5 blade and that will leave the hair about a half inch long.

It's all personal preference, try a #5 and see how you like it, if you think it should be a bit shorter, go over it with a 10! :)

13. comingsummers

comingsummers New Member

May 6, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    Cool! Thanks for the info! I don't get to shave for at least a month or two still, it's way too cold for them. But I'm looking fowrard to seeing whats under all that fuzz!

14. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

color of the goat is a factor as well. A white goat or a black goat you need to clip sooner then a brown goat. My chammy girls get clipped a couple of days before the show. Black goats a week before. below knees and hocks a 10, the rest of the body is a 7 udder is a 40, and then i shave them the morning of with a hand razor. Kind of like you would shave your legs.

15. SugarBush Farms

SugarBush Farms New Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Southwest Michigan
    I use a 10 blade on the body, head and legs around 2 weeks before show. Then I use a 50 blade(surgical blade) on the udder of milking does. On dry does and kids I shave the udder area with ether a 10 or a 15 blade. I also have the pain of attempting to blend the wattles on my LaManchas(luckily we don't have to shave the wattles themselves, just blend the base into the neck)

16. RMADairyGoats

RMADairyGoats New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Colorado
    I razar the udder, clip the body with a 15 and legs and head with a 30 :)