shaving undercoats

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Nigie Girl, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Nigie Girl

Nigie Girl New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    CT
    hi everyone
    i just shaved one of my goats for a fair and she had grown in a full fledged undercoat. i felt awful but she was the second goat that i had registered to go to the fair (the big-e) and i didn't want the other one not to have a companion. will her undercoat grow back? i am worried that she will be bald all winter long now...i almost cried when i was shaving her. can goats undercoats grow back even after the coat has been shaved?
    please let me know...i feel terrible.

2. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    i honestly don't know
    i know they grow and blow their undercoats every year with the chaning of the season but i have never shaved an undercoat before this close to winter...
    DH, who has been a farmer FOREVER, claims the undercoat will grow back and i gotta believe him...
    ...but...
    ...even tho i've had goats for 7 years, give or take, he keeps telling me he's a cow man not a goat man...
    sorry i can't help more

3. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    im pretty sure it will. i don't think the guard hairs will grow back very fast though. i shaved buck last year without thinking and he grew the under back but not his guards so he looked like a little lamb

4. Nigie Girl

Nigie Girl New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    CT
    i'm really worried...i just don't want her to be freezing this winter and i don't want her to have to wear coats all the time. especially since when i put coats on my goats they start bucking each other like crazy...does anyone know why they do this? then they always have "bloody" heads when I go into the barn. for the first couple of days they seem very jealous about the other goat's coat. i mean, i'm in CT...it gets pretty darn cold here and i don't want her to get frozen.

5. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    The only thing I can really suggest are the goat coats, maybe put one on each of them??? :) We put a coat on one doe who would blow her coat everytime she was bred (really wierd, hormonal thing). So, she blew her coat - I made a really funny looking flannel coat to put on her. No one bothered her. . . . wonder why they would do that.

If you have electricity, maybe you can put a couple heat lamps in the barn or a small heater (but don't let it get too warm in there, just comfortable).

6. Nigie Girl

Nigie Girl New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    CT
    i do put a coat on each of them and that's why they get jealous of the other's coat.
    does anyone specifically know if undercoats can grow back after they've been shaved in the fall? (and the undercoat was already partially grown). oh and yes i do have electricity in the barn but the goats would gnaw on any wires and i really don't want anyone electrocuted even though that would definitely warm them up. and i don't want to have to drill any holes through the walls to in order to prevent trailing wires. I may ask my dad about "barn boxes". (you know like wooden boxes that the goats can huddle in when they're cold.
    Thanks!

7. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    i bought goat coats and put them on the babies when they were born this past march
    the momma's seemed to be almost afraid of the babies until they got used to them
    maybe it's a smell or something
    wash the coats but then hang them in the barn to get the goat/barn smell into them...?...

8. Ivy

Ivy New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Midwest
    Here in Southern Wi my goats haven't even began growing their winter under coats yet. They still are in the summer under coats. Yes, they can have a summer and a winter under coat.
    Mine don't start growing that winter under coat till the first frost. That seems to be the triggger.
    Makes sense too since it usually warms back uo after the first nip before the cold actually sets in.

I wouldnt worry.

If you dont want them wearing coats all winter, dont use any unless its below freezing and they are freezing and it the only choice you have. Covering them to soon will inhibit under coat and guard hair growth.

9. artzkat

artzkat Member

Oct 22, 2007
    West Virginia
    I don't think you have to worry about the undercoat/cashmere. It should continue to grow. A few sunny/warm fall days followed by cold days and nights, plus the shortening daylight hours should signal it to keep growing. In the meantime, there is a snug, stretchy goat sweater that you can get that doesn't look like a goat coat..more like a big sock pulled over the goat. Fits the whole body with four leg holes.. Ha ha..good luck getting it on those back legs. It's very insulating and shouldn't bother the other goats at all. You can google in goat sweater and see what you get.
    Now, I can't swear by this...I know it works with cows and it seems to be working on my fiber goats pretty well (this is the first year I have given it a try)...but I was told that if you feed your animal pumpkin, it stimulates and thickens their coat growth. My goats pretty much love pumpkin., I grew the little pie pumpkins this year and slice or chop them them into edible pieces, with skin and seeds and give them a pumpkin party every week...about 1 cup of pumpkin per goat..more or less..or a couple of nice sized slices per goat. Fresh pumpkin is easy to feed, but supposedly, canned pumpkin works just as well. Of course with all things we give our goats..go slow. Don't want any upset tummies.

Kat.

10. Nigie Girl

Nigie Girl New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    CT
    hmmm...that's interesting about the pumpkins. I will try it next week. However, in the meantime I'd like to share a strange observance that I discovered...

The Goat Coat Theory

I placed both goat coats on the floor of the barn and my two goats sniffed and pawed at it. After about ten minutes I placed (I didn't tie) one of the coats on one of my goat's back (Brie). She instantaneously started bucking the other goat and acting dominant. As soon as the coat fell off her back she stopped. Then I tried the same thing to the other goat (Bella). As soon as I put it on Bella, Brie bucked her once or twice and then stopped and they went back to being normal goats and eating hay. Hmm...I thought...that's odd. So then I switched to the other coat and put it on Bella's back. This coat was blue and the one she had on initially was green. The goats started bucking again, more furiously than before. I guess they prefer the green coat. So I put the green coat back on Bella and they were calm, eating hay. So I decided to hang up the blue coat on a pen and let them get used to seeing it.

Here's my hypotheses:
    1.) They have fashion sense. The blue is DEFINITELY uglier than the green. Maybe it doesn't match their coat or something.
    2.) They are like bulls except as soon as they see blue (vs. red) they go psycho
    3.) Brie feels the coat on her back and automatically thinks that she's in charge. Maybe she thinks that it's like queen's robes and it gives her the power to do whatever she likes
    4.) Maybe they're just plain dumb (esp. Brie) and they like to freeze at night

Also...I apologize profusely for having created this thread in the Caprine Special Care section. However, on second thought after this experiment I have found that (1) my goats are caprines and (2) my goats are definitely special (I mean they need serious mental help when it comes to coats).

Maybe this will help someone in the future. Maybe a goat owner with a goat that has a skin disease or something. Someone that is having a problem with their goats revolting against the sick goat every time they put a coat on him/her. :greengrin: At least that's what I'm hoping!

Anyway thanks for all the awesome advice! Maybe I will make a more useful update post this winter to inform goat owners around the world that 1. Yes, coats do grow back in ___ months. or 2. No, my goats are still bald and shivering and it's been ___ months.

11. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Nigi :slapfloor: I think they have fashion sense.

IVY: I am also in southern Wisconsin, my pygmy is starting to get an undercoat. I noticed that just today, but my nigis don't. Well I don't know if my buck does or not. . . he is just hairy lol