shaving

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by countryboy, Dec 19, 2008.

1. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    What's up with the shaving of the goats? What is the purpose? How is it done?

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Most that shave their goats do so to show them, others, like me, just do the bucks to keep them nice and neat through the summer as the bucks tend to have a heavy growth of hair around the neck and chest( at least the mini's do) I do shave udders when kidding time arrives, easier to keep mom clean and the kids don't have to search for the teats, keeps the stray hair out of the milk pail too.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    shaving is done for shows most of the time.

I use special clippers made for horses to clip my goats as well as dog clippers.

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Shaving is for showing (usually), but also can be used to keep the goat cooler through the summer if you're in a really hot climate. Shaving the coat down will allow you to examine conformation easier. We shave some of our goats in May/June if it gets really hot. We're in an extremely hot climate so shaving seems to really help. About 2 weeks before a show we shave them also.

5. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    We shave when we show (or because we need practice on the non-showable animals). I use horse clippers and it works well!

6. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    When does it grow back? [once a year]

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It starts to grow back within a few weeks and if shaved in the summer they will have a nice full coat come fall.

8. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    You will start to notice it growing back within two to 3 weeks. I shaved a few of mine in July and they've got a big, thick winter coat right now.

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    is there a difference between white and dark colored goats?

10. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I haven't noticed to much, but for some reason I remembering my creamies and whites fur was growing in quicker??? :shrug: I'll have to pay attention next time. :D

11. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I have noticed that goats who get shaved too late in the year grow back a very funny winter coat, so scruffy-looking. In our experience, this is the case. Ginger and Panda were shaved late, in September and look kinda scruffy now.

We shave for show and pictures for the website, clip udders to milk and take udder pics. I just clipped Cordelia's udder today, not a super good clipping (don't want her to get too cold!) but enough to take an udder pic. Btw, her udder looks NICE!! When I get the pics, I'll post them here for "critiquing." ;)

12. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

We have an extra "people" clipper set around the house. If my family members don't object, would that work on a goat? Also, when talking of "shaving" the udder I kept getting the image of shaving cream and a safety razor. Clippers on the udder, too?

And on my Nigierians, is there enough there to clip the udder? Hopefully more will be revealed by time they are ready to kid!

13. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I don't think the people clippers would work. We use horse clippers that work great. As for shaving the udder, I haven't done this to much, but to show the capacity, teat length, etc. you can use shaving creme and a razor...works really well. Some people just shave over it with a small set of clippers though.

14. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Human clippers are fine for doing a udder, wouldn't recommend them for body clipping though. I also wouldn't use a razor on a udder unless you are planning on showing them, otherwise there is no need for it to be that short, and you run the risk of nicking.

15. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah people clippers would be more difficult.

The horse clippers are variable speed and are much more hardy. THey are large dont get me wrong but they do a good job. I use lamp oil to keep them cool and lubricated as they do get hot and can burn the hair/goat if you arent careful!