Shavings

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goatiegurl*Oh, Dec 26, 2007.

1. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Are shavings harmful to goats? I cleaned out Dingo's pen and had just started to put some shavings down,and she started eating them out of the bag. I took the bag away,and decided to wait to see if they could be harmful to her before filling the stall.

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I'm not sure if they are or not. I know a lot of people use shavings as a base and then put straw on top to make it easier to clean.

3. PACE

PACE New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Mass
    Shavings should be fine. That's what I use as a base layer, then just wait for the wasted hay to cover it up. Mine never eat it, though. I think once she gets used to it she should stop.

4. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Mine eat a few of them sometimes and it hasn't hurt them. But I wouldn't want them to eat a whole lot.

5. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    I use the same shavings that I use for the horses. Never had a problem. I never use them in the kidding pens though.

6. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Pine are ok, cedar is extremely harmful to any animal. I would completely advise against cedar, it causes upper respiratory problems.

I use pine in my stalls and top it with straw. Shows use shavings around here as well.

7. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Ok,it should be ok then,she only ate a few pieces of it,then I took it away. I'll put them in tomorrow and see if she leaves them alone after a while.

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I have used shavings under straw. makes everything more absorbant. i like to use white pine shavings rather then cedr though. They are less dusty and the goats don;t seem to cough and sneeze when they are on them. Cedar savings though the smell better, tend to be dustier and are more prone to cause respiritory problems.
    beth

9. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    It's white pine. I ran out of straw,and had 2 bags left over from fair,so decided to use them,but I need to get more straw and some square bales.

10. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Its technically called kiln dried pine and it is the best to buy for goats as aspen isn't available in bulk and would be more pricey.

11. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I have heard of goats getting sick if they eat too much shavings. I don't use them because I don't have a place to store them. I have a know of people that use them and never have problems. I would just watch her closely to make sure she doesn't eat too many before she gets used to them being in there. Once she gets used to them, it shouldn't be a problem.

12. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    I like to use white pine shavings...yeah when its being spread they try to chomp on the plastic bag and mouth the shavings themselves. Hardly any dust, I can carry a bag of it alot easier than a bale of straw & not have to use a dust mask.
    It is more expensive than straw but I do like to use it for a base to absorb moisture, top dressed with straw.

13. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    I use sawdust because a local Amish lumberyard bags it and gives it to you for free. It turns brown fast but the goats never eat it and it isn't dusty.