The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When we got Salem she was very filled out on her bones but never had a big rumen. We had a fecal done about a week and a half after getting her and She had 1300epg and only a few cocci. She has never filled out in the belly/rumen. After we found out her worm load, we treated her for it and the cocci. All is well now and she only has 500epg (and got treated for the remaining 500epg) and no cocci. Well, she still isn't filled out. As a matter of a fact she has lost some weight. She is hardly even filled out at the end of the day and still has sunken in sides. She has always drunk a lot of water and she loves it with ACV in it. She is very hydrated so thats not the problem. A couple days ago I went down to do night feeding and she had ate so much that day that her belly was actually filled out past her ribs! Then the next moring she had messy stool (The mesey Stool started two days ago, the day after she ate SOO much.). Since this morning her stool has firmed up some but still very lose. She acts 100% fine despite being so skiny! Two days ago when she started with the messy stool I started giving her- B-12 (shot). Probios. Mineral Dreanch. Jump-Start. Red-cell ( her FAM score is great. On a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the worst her score is a 2. Just doing a couple days of Red-cell anyway.). Ive also been giving her 3 shots of 20mls of IV a day although she is plenty hydrated, Just doing it because it makes me know that she IS hydrated enough. And ive been checking her temp everytime I go to the goat pen, which is about 5 times a day and her temp is always in normal range. She acts completely normal. Im thinking its something shes eating as her messy stool is green like grass. And yes she does chew her cud like normal. The mesey Stool is the least of my concerns. Im worried about her not eating! I'm kinda thinking she has Lungworm. Thoughts?...

As of today ive startd locking her up to let her eat all the feed she wants out of two cups of goat grower and one cup of alfalfa pellets and about a half of cup of oats. Ill probably buy her some alfalfa hay too and start leaving her locked up for 30-50 minutes to eat all she wants of it. I'm just stumped on this one. She doesn't have a big worm load, no cocci. I will be getting another fecal done (although she JUST got a test done last week) but it'll probably be Saturday. I'm thinking since she had such a huge worm load when we got her, that it just sucked all the nurtroin outta her, amd maybe that's the reason she's so skiny?. Any other ideas guys? I really am stumped. She acts perfectly fine馃槼. Which is what's throwing me off........ Ill also try to get her to eat some garlic, but ill probably have to Dreanch it down her... Also going to start her on some Electrolytes too. Ideas?

Edit: I forgot to mention she coughs every now in then. She has coughed randomly ever since we got her. After I found out she had a big worm load, I figured the cough was because of that. But now that she doesn't have a big load, im thinking maybe she does have Lungworm. But im going to start her tomorrow on Pinachillen just in case its something else.

Pics from this morning.
Dog Working animal Carnivore Grass Fawn

Grass Plant Dog breed Carnivore Fence

Fence Dog Mesh Mammal Working animal

Dog Pet supply Mesh Dog breed Fence

Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
That's strange...

Has she been tested for Johnes?

She might just need more time to recover from the worm load. I think alfalfa hay is a good idea. Maybe giving her some BOSS (or Calf Manna) would help pack some weight on.

I would continue to feed her sperate to make sure she doesn't get bullied.

Hope you can figure out what's wrong and that she gains some weight soon! 馃槝

Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
@ksalvagno @Damfino @happybleats
@Moers kiko boars
@GoofyGoat @MellonFriend

That's strange...

Has she been tested for Johnes?

She might just need more time to recover from the worm load. I think alfalfa hay is a good idea. Maybe giving her some BOSS would help as well. Calf Manna should really help as well.

I would continue to feed her sperate to make sure she doesn't get bullied.

Hope you can figure out what's wrong and that she gains some weight soon! 馃槝
Ive been looking into Calf manna and found out my local store carrys it. So ill probably get that tomorrow. And yes she has, she tested clean.

I do think she does need more time to recover, but why would it cause this? I've been through a lot through the years and never had anything like this happen.

Thanks Dandy!馃槝:ROFLMAO:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's odd. Have you tried giving anything to boost the rumen? Probiotics or dark beer or something similar? Other than that I'm not really sure. I hope she improves for you.
Yes I am giving probiotics. She acts fine.....I just dont know why she wont gain weight!

Registered
@ksalvagno @Damfino @happybleats
@Moers kiko boars
@GoofyGoat

Ive been looking into Calf manna and found out my local store carrys it. So ill probably get that tomorrow. And yes she has, she tested clean.

I do think she does need more time to recover, but why would it cause this? I've been through a lot through the years and never had anything like this happen.

Thanks Dandy!馃槝:ROFLMAO:
Great! I was really hoping she has been tested clean for Johnes.

You're welcome! Hopefully other members will be able to give you more advice.馃槉

Reactions: Lil Boogie

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I鈥檓 also wondering if she is getting bullied out of food. Be careful adding new food or she may get an upset stomach and lose more weight even though she is eating more.
She gets Alfalfa sometimes so its not exactly new. And she doesn't get bullied馃槼....she bullies lol.....I feed hay in a lot of places too so if she dis get bullied away from one spot, she can eat form 7 other places.

Registered
I just dont know why she wont gain weight!
My Tater is a bit thinner than I'd like, but he is completely healthy otherwise. He eats lots of high quality hay and 1/2 cup of grain twice a day, so I just figure that he needs more time to mature and fill out. He also won't eat more than a a cup of grain a day. It is weird that Salem was a one point filled out, but now she's not - weird! 馃

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My Tater is a bit thinner than I'd like, but he is completely healthy otherwise. He eats lots of high quality hay and 1/2 cup of grain twice a day, so I just figure that he needs more time to mature and fill out. He also won't eat more than a a cup of grain a day. It is weird that Salem was a one point filled out, but now she's not - weird! 馃
I cant figure it out! Maybe I will though.... Hopefully.

Registered
I know weight gain can be slow in goats (wish it was for people馃檮). I鈥檝e been reading about dyne to add calories to Frances鈥 diet. She鈥檚 getting grain, black oil sunflower seeds, beet pulp, alfalfa pellets, calf manna, wheat germ oil on Mondays, probiotic powder on her morning and night ration. She鈥檚 a milking goat, though, and has a lot of demands placed on her body. It鈥檚 weird your girl isn鈥檛 gaining, but maybe she needs time once her scours stop to slowly put weight on and separate feeding time to not get bullied. I started offering two different types of grass mix hay, and I noticed Frances has been eating a ton of the newer kind and putting a bit of weight on. Your girl might get an appetite for a different kind of hay and put weight on. I鈥檇 be really worried if your girl keeps up the scouring and loses more weight. If she鈥檚 eating, maybe try to keep her low stress, maybe somewhere separate with another goat friend that gets along with her, and watch her closely.

Edit: Maybe she鈥檚 too busy bossing others around to relax and eat? I鈥檇 stay on probiotics for sure while adjusting any food and getting her rumen more normal.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know weight gain can be slow in goats (wish it was for people馃檮). I鈥檝e been reading about dyne to add calories to Frances鈥 diet. She鈥檚 getting grain, black oil sunflower seeds, beet pulp, alfalfa pellets, calf manna, wheat germ oil on Mondays, probiotic powder on her morning and night ration. She鈥檚 a milking goat, though, and has a lot of demands placed on her body. It鈥檚 weird your girl isn鈥檛 gaining, but maybe she needs time once her scours stop to slowly put weight on and separate feeding time to not get bullied. I started offering two different types of grass mix hay, and I noticed Frances has been eating a ton of the newer kind and putting a bit of weight on. Your girl might get an appetite for a different kind of hay and put weight on. I鈥檇 be really worried if your girl keeps up the scouring and loses more weight. If she鈥檚 eating, maybe try to keep her low stress, maybe somewhere separate with another goat friend that gets along with her, and watch her closely.
The mesey Stool just started two days ago. Its green just like when the others get into short green- fresh grass. I think thats what caused it but ill DEFENATLY be keeping a VERY close eye on her. Thanks btw.

Registered
The mesey Stool just started two days ago. Its green just like when the others get into short green- fresh grass. I think thats what caused it but ill DEFENATLY be keeping a VERY close eye on her. Thanks btw.
It鈥檚 scary how fast they can change. I think it鈥檚 better to be worried than dismissive, so I understand even if they look fine that anything off can be concerning. Hope she gains weight and eats well!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It鈥檚 scary how fast they can change. I think it鈥檚 better to be worried than dismissive, so I understand even if they look fine that anything off can be concerning. Hope she gains weight and eats well!
So very much true my friend! And thanks馃槉

Registered
Hmm. Is it just me or is she rather small for her age? Is she Nubian or a cross? I wonder if it is from parasites stunting her growth or not eating enough for some reason. My girls born in June look taller and more grown than her (could be from them growing well nursing off mom). Just something to consider.

Registered
*Gotta love 鈥榚m kids!*
Have you tested for lung worms? Wouldn鈥檛 hurt to test for that if you haven鈥檛 already. What wormer are you using? What day did you treat for worms? )sorry if you may have said what day and I missed it) If she has loose stool something else may be going on.

All the other weight gain ideas are great. Alfalfa hay might be worth a try as well.

I鈥檓 sure @happybleats will be able to help more

Reactions: toth boer goats
1 - 20 of 66 Posts