She ate a clothespin! Ahhhhh! Is this bad?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Cinder, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I keep my milk pail covered with a hanky or cheesecloth and held in place by four clothespins. When it's in the barn it's set up on top of an old clothesdryer that we kept for spare parts.

So, today after letting my doe and her 1 1/2 week old kids run around the barn for a while I called to her to put them in the stall. As she walked by the clothesdryer I saw her reach up and grab something. I looked but couldn't figure out what she'd gotten; she'd chewed it up quickly. I put her in the stall and went back to pick up the milk bucket and it was missing one of the clothespins! She's actually eaten the whole wooden clothespin and apparently the wire thingy that holds them together. Should I be panicking? I know that goats eat lots of weird things but I'm particularly concerned about the metal piece.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hmm the only thing I would worry about yes is the wire. Ever hear of "hard wire" in a cow? well thats from them eating wire :roll: so it can cause an obstruction. It is small enough it shouldnt be an issue and possibly she spit it out? :shrug:

3. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I know that with cows you use use the magnets so that metal doesn't get in them and cut them inside. All the metal just sticks to the magnet and never exits the animal. I wonder if you can use them for goats? I don't know how big the magnets are though. Are you positive she ate the metal spring? Is she worth paying for an x-ray on? That's probably what I would do. Of coarse I'd call my vet first and ask what they say.

4. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I don't know for positive that she ate the metal. I'm going back out to look for it again but it's deep straw/hay so I don't know if I'll find it.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Getting a x-ray ...may not be a bad idea....... :wink: :hug:

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    She likely spit it out, but if it would help to be sure, take a strong magnet over the area where she has been...with the clothespin, it will find the spring for you.

7. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    What is it with these goats lately?? I hope you find the spring!

8. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Praise the Lord! I went out and after searching found 1/2 the clothespin with the spring still attached! I didn't find the second half; hopefully she spit it out also.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    well that sounds good..... :wink: :greengrin:

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
  11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    awesome! if not at least you know it is wood

12. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    :applaud: That's great news that you found the other half.