She BIT me!!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by crocee, Mar 18, 2009.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I went out to check on everyone and spend some time in the goat pen, and offered them some corn chips. Well this went over rather too well since they had not had them before. I had 2 a piece for the 4 goats out there. Tracy took hers and ate them without much fanfare. Tilly took hers with gusto and wouldn't let anyone else have any. I was giving a piece to the buckling when she butted him out of the way with her mouth as she took the chip and my finger from the side :shocked: . I didn't have time to think much less get my fingers out of the way. She chomped down on that chip and my index finger :shocked: . She caught it right across the cuticle with her tooth and drew blood, lots of blood too. I can't believe she bit me that hard. Well after that, the other 2 didn't get any corn chips. I also cut a few handfuls of green grass from my side of the fence, longer stuff on my side, and gave it to them. You would have thought I was throwing candy in there the way they fought over it. Its hard to spread a handful in 4 places but,I didn't want to bloat them by giving too much of the green stuff. I will think twice before offering fresh grass and corn chips as a treat, or at least next time I will wear thick gloves.

2. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Do you feed primarily pellet to them? I did for mine for a week(checkin the idea out cause they waste less on pellet), but then theu were eating their straw bedding, bad thing, :oops: so we got a bail of alfalfa and they wouldn't let me get it to its storage they were so excited! I have also had my Nubian doe get a bit excited for her animal crackers after milkin. I guess what I am sayin is they need a variety of greens to munch as well as a decent predone feed if you arent pastureing them. just cut a few sticks from some goat friendly plants toss em in with the goats and let them manage the herd hierarchy. If it gets bad I step between the combatants and they leave off the buttin. Just my 2 cents as a backyard goat keeper. :wave:

3. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I just let them fight it out. I learned a while ago not to get between goats that are intent of bashing each other. I just thought it was funny that they went after the grass. They have the same stuff in their pen but my side is a bit longer since we have not cut it yet. My goats get alfalfa pellets and grass hay. Alfalfa hay is not available here.

I had never given the goats corn chips before. They have had raisins, nilla wafers, potato chips, veggies, fruit, and other assorted treats but never corn chips. I figured they would take them nicely like they do the others and either eat them or not. I didn't expect a feeding frenzy by the newly freshened Nubian. She acted like a wild goat trying to get that chip. It mainly surprised me that the heifer bit me.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Ouch~!!! that had to really hurt.... :shocked:

5. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    It was more shock than pain. I just couldn't believe she did it. They all chew on my fingers but none have ever caused pain or drew blood. I have always been aware and moved my fingers out of harms way if they start enjoying it too much. She was just so fast at moving the buckling and getting the chip at the same time that I didn't have time to react :shocked: . I came inside fussing and DH asked what was wrong, I held up a bloody finger and said :angry: " that goofy heifer bit me". He started laughing and now thinks my finger should be a picture on goat feed :ROFL: . He was NOT my favorite person at that moment :veryangry: .

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Isn't it something that no matter how well fed they are that they still act as though they are starved when they see you with ANTHING!

Those bottom incisors do cause pain and are very sharp when they greedily grab whatecer it is that they feel they absoltely need!

Hope your finger feels better, though it's gonna sting for awhile. :hug:

7. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I had Chey for a long time before I got the other goats. She is just the sweetest lil lady when it comes to treats. I got my nigies and thought they would be just as sweet. NOPE! Dixie and my buck Maz are the worst offenders, but they are getting better. I was just as surprised when I felt the little goatie teeth!

8. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    My finger is fine but DH goes around pointing his and laughing. Just wait till he gets bit :ROFL: , he will get his in the end. I figure there will be plenty of new "experiences" in the years ahead.

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :ROFL:

10. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    hmm, I wonder if there's some way of holding him down and sprinkling corn chips on him... then letting loose the wee doe?

=] LW

11. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Now there's an idea :ROFL: We are a wicked bunch, aren't we :ROFL:

12. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I'm not sure about the bunch... it could just be me :greengrin:

13. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    :ROFL: And ME :ROFL:

14. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I have a doe that just bites! I wormed her the other day, and she hated it. I sat down to pet and calm her down etc. when she ungratefully tried to bite my arm! :sigh: Luckly, I know her so I got my arm out of the way fast enough,I still got a scrape..Blood thirsty goat I guess! :drool: :ROFL:

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You all are to funny.... :ROFL: :ROFL: