She has arrived!

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by samall, Oct 7, 2007.

1. samall

samall New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Iowa
    I know most of you are already aware how much I love my llamas. So you can imagine how excited I am to announce the birth of our first cria!! Graycie was born 1 week ago today and we are so thrilled with her. We were lucky enough to get to witness her birth, and I've been making myself crazy with worry ever since....first we weren't sure if her dam was producing enough milk and our scale was giving us a different reading every time we tried to weigh her so we weren't sure if she was gaining weight. After ordering a new cria scale and paying an extra $41 just to have it shipped overnight, we weighed her and waited 24 hours to weigh her again. We were very much relieved to see a 9 oz. gain. She is tiny, though, at only 20 lbs. at 1 week old. Now she has a bit of a runny nose off & on, but it's whitish/clear and she's active and seems very strong, so we are hoping she is still just cleaning her lungs out. We're watching her really close, though...and worrying of course.

Her daddy is our big white male Romeo, and her mom is a big black & white female named Sure Enough.

So here she is:

Just born:
    http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o60/ ... G_1996.jpg

Up on her feet:
    http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o60/ ... G_2000.jpg

Dried off (day 2):
    http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o60/samall/004.jpg
    http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o60/samall/005.jpg
    http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o60/samall/012.jpg
    http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o60/samall/015.jpg
    http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o60/samall/017.jpg

2. Pinsprings

Pinsprings New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Indiana
    So, normally they are not this small at birth?

3. samall

samall New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Iowa
    Most weigh more than 20 lbs. at birth (25 - 30 is average), so 20 lbs. at a week is on the small side. Since we couldn't get an accurate reading when she was born I don't know for sure what her birth weight was. She was a few days early, but she does have teeth so she wasn't a preemie.

4. needs to know more

needs to know more New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Washington
    how cute!! I wanted llamas but hubby said no!!! he might change his mind when my lgd barks all night at coyotes!!!!!

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh my what a looker! that last picture was just so precious!

Congratulations!

6. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I am in LOVE!!!!! She is adorable!

7. samall

samall New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Iowa
    Thank you all...I completely melt every time I look at her. We waited so long for her to get here and she is such a little sweetheart.

8. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Now that is just the cutest thing!!! I want a Llama so bad!!!!!!!!

9. Pinsprings

Pinsprings New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Indiana
    What is it called when a llama has a baby?
    kids? calves? foals?

Do they have an easy time or is it a difficult birth?

10. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    baby llamas are called crias, but i dont know what it's called when they are giving birth

11. samall

samall New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Iowa
    Thanks hollowbead! The funny thing is I didn't even want llamas. I was happy with just the horses & goats, but then my daughter wanted to join a llama 4-H group. She learned to train & show yearlings at a llama farm near us, and we all fell in love with them and decided to get two of our own. Now we are up to 13 llamas and we sold all of our horses because we no longer had time for them.

Some llama breeders call the birth "criation" or "criating" since the baby is a cria. Most people just call it birthing.

Pinsprings - It's rare for them to have birthing difficulties, it happens, but it's not common. Babies come head & front feet first like goats, but they normally take a break at the shoulders and again at the hips for 5 - 15 minutes. The dam usually stays standing and the baby hangs upside-down during that time to clear the lungs & nasal passages. It's usually a quiet & calm process for the dam. Ours was grazing during the birth.

Graycie was having some trouble breathing last night because her nose is getting more congested on one side. She was breathing better this morning but still has the goopy nose so we have a call in to the vet and are waiting for a call back.

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Your cria is so cute. My cria is now 6 months. I got her and her mom when "silly" was only 4 months old.

They are so much fun. I had never had goats or llamas, and started my small herd all in one weekend, and LOVE IT!

Congrats again!

Allison

13. samall

samall New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Iowa
    Thanks Allison! My first two llamas were weanlings around the same age as your cria when I got them. They are 2 and a half now! They are such sweet, gentle animals.

My vet has put her on Penicillin for 5 days. Hopefully that will clear her up and she won't get any sicker. I am pretty worried about her but she is still acting spunky.

14. sungoats

sungoats New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Jackson NJ
    Congrats on your new little sweetie! She's just too precious!!!

I have a friend who has show llamas and I remember him telling me that the smell of the male is what brings a female into season, and that the gestation is a year!!! Is that really true? How do you stand waiting so long? I could NEVER be that patient!

15. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    She is so cute! Congrats!!!!

16. samall

samall New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Iowa
    Well, she is having more problems breathing as the day goes and I'm pulling my hair out w/worry. The good news is she's gained another 6 oz. since last night, so she is still nursing enough. I'm told I need to wait and give the penn. a chance to work, but with this being our first cria I can't help but worry about her. If she didn't get enough colostrum the penn. might not be enough, so we will have to have an IgG test done if we don't see improvement pretty quickly. I hate to put her through all the stress of that, not to mention the cost if she needs a plasma transfer. Hopefully we are moving on this quickly enough, we would be devastated if we lost her. Keep her in your thoughts, please!

sungoats - Yes, gestation is almost a year. 350 days is the average but there is a pretty big window of "normal". The wait seems like forever!!! I have another due any day but she is holding out. Llamas don't really have a season, females will usually breed any time they are open, and males are always ready to go. It's not the smell of the male but the actual breeding that causes the female to ovulate. A bred female will usually spit at a male and refuse to lay down for him. Makes it easy to check for pregnancy but sometimes they can fool you anyway.

17. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    She adorable samall. Hope she's better soon. Shelly

18. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    In goats pen isn't usually strong enough to get rid of repiratory issues. Can you use a stronger antibiotic?

19. heidi19

heidi19 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    She is so precious!! I have wanted one for a long time, and if I were 15 years younger I would have at least two. Oklahoma has several llamas farms. They are so cute. (heidi19) Jan oh ignore the blue link, was trying to put my Avator on, goofed up.

20. samall

samall New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Iowa
    Stacey I wondered that myself but he said to give her pen. He thinks some of it might be weather related since we've had such odd temps lately. Anywhere from 50's to 90's during the day, lots of humidity, lots of rain, just very weird weather. She seems like she might be breathing a little easier tonight but it's hard to tell. HOpefully we will see a definite improvement tomorrow, if not I'll be back on the phone again.

Thanks Heidi! Oklahoma has some of the best llamas in the country! Sometime I hope to be able to attend the Celebrity World Futurity and Sale in Oklahoma City...but for now that's just too far for us to travel.