The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a good size milk bucket that I milked into. I post a while ago venting about the bad behavior of my doe at milking.

I figured since I have to keep one hand on her side and one on the teat, I might as well just milk into a mason jar and not deal with the big bucket.

She was good as gold today and gave up a little more milk than usual even.

She hates the big bucket!
I wish I had realized that weeks ago.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I prefer milking into mason jars...screw on a lid with a piece of cheesecloth sagging slightly and filter as you milk, cap off and refridgerate when done...easy

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Oh how funny , lolol
Glad it was something simple though , lol
These goats will drive us all crazy and they will be laughing the whole way , lol And we will probably enjoy the ride there anyways :p

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Wow, really:) I actually use a mayo jar, that has a bigger head. It's glass. My girl is still being quite the pain, hopefully she will come around. This is her first freshening, and she was really skid dish when I got her, she isn't as skid dish anymore since I've been working with her, good thing she's small:)

·
Member with a bahhh
2,472 Posts
Glad you figured it out. You'll get better aim. I've gotten good enough that I can milk both sides at a time into a pickle jar.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Thanks guys.
I got my milking machine put together and miss tiny teat dancer gave up 4 cups of milk today with no attitude, no dancing, no issues. Morning milkings just got a lot sweeter.
Cool:) What milker did you get? I almost got mine done this morning without any hassle. She hates her head being in the stanchion so she got up on the stand, and didn't put her head in the stanchion (I just put her grain dish on the stand, it is a huge stand and she is small) she just "stood" yes stood she usually wants to sit, and I almost had her milked out, and then the grain was gone, so she took off. I usually have an extra grain tin sitting there for such an occasion, but since she was having a hard time eating her grain yesterday I figured she wouldn't eat it all, so the extra grain tin will be sitting beside me next time... Hope the no hassle continues for you:)

·
Registered
448 Posts
lol,I teach my goatlings to jump up into the bails and the reward is FOOD!! by the time they have kidded its a normal familar place to be fed and getting milked is just part of being fed.Some will dance around when fresh in milk but most behave :D I use a 5lt bucket stainless steel and I have a larger one 10 ltr. I use the smaller one to milk into and the larger one to store for kid feeding straight from milking.Mason jars are to small in volume.LOL nothing worse than a foot in the bucket or it kicked all over you :rolleyes: I used to use cheap $2 plastic buckets but were going through them at an allarming rate so bought stainless ones. teejae

Attachments

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We used to have the grain count down too. We have alfalfa pellets in her food to slow her down and because its good stuff. So I just add more of those when I needed to but I didn't have to today. It was magical. I finished milking just before she was done.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Goat-Sheep-...096?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c60f5a420

This is what I have and I bought a hand pump with a gauge at the auto store so I can keep track of how much pressure there is.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
teejae - that's fabulous. We got a FF and her doeling. The FF just needed to learn how it is. The doeling we're doing what you do and putting her on the stand and getting fed. Hopefully next spring, she'll be much easier than her mom has been. :)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
lol,I teach my goatlings to jump up into the bails and the reward is FOOD!! by the time they have kidded its a normal familar place to be fed and getting milked is just part of being fed.Some will dance around when fresh in milk but most behave :D I use a 5lt bucket stainless steel and I have a larger one 10 ltr. I use the smaller one to milk into and the larger one to store for kid feeding straight from milking.Mason jars are to small in volume.LOL nothing worse than a foot in the bucket or it kicked all over you :rolleyes: I used to use cheap $2 plastic buckets but were going through them at an allarming rate so bought stainless ones. teejae
So cute! Those are Toggenburg's right? Too cute. I was thinking of getting some Toggenburg's:)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
AmyBoogie, following your initial post, I tried milking into a mason jar with Miss Fidget (envisioning broken glass everywhere), and she has actually stood relatively still for the past three milkings that I've been using a mason jar. Maybe stainless is too shiny? Maybe mason jars are less visible and also smaller targets? :confused: But, thank you, thank you, for your suggestion!

·
Goat Crazy!
6,475 Posts
yes. I'm glad she's calmed. Now I need to figure out how to milk faster one handed or get better aim....sometimes that mason jar top seems so small. ;)
Do you use a wide mouthed mason jar? I milk my Nigey into one and it's much easier than the small mouthed ones.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Do you use a wide mouthed mason jar? I milk my Nigey into one and it's much easier than the small mouthed ones.
I use 4 cup glass measuring cup. gets kinda heavy towards the end, BUT instead of holding the jar, you can just hang the measuring cup by the handle on your hand. working quite well for me....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts