She is driving me crazy

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by CrossCreekTX, Aug 11, 2009.

1. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    I have a LaMancha doe that was pen bred before I got her. The breeder said to expect her to kid in July. Then she emailed me that one of the does in the pen kidded mid June. So I've been checking her frequently since mid June. She does not look pg, but then neither did Glennis. Lisle isn't as big as Glennis, and should be a FF. SHe made a nice little udder, but hasn't bagged up. Ligs still tight. Her vulva got swollen and pink about 2 wks ago. Now it isn't pink but still swollen.

I don't know whether to feed her like she is going to kid shortly or not. I sure don't need to overfeed her and make her fat. SHe is on good pasture and has plenty of browse too. She gets a handful of grain a day, but that is all unless she finds a way out of her pen and into a duck pen.

Pulling my hair out.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    when did you purchase her? what is the last date of possible breeding? (ie the day you brought her home)

3. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    I brought her home March 24. Supposedly, Feb 28th was the last date she could have been bred, but it wouldn't surprise me if that date was not right. (In all fairness, my friend, the breeder has been ill. She had a heart attack and hasn't recovered completely so I can understand that she might not have kept close records.)

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ok last breeding date by breeder would make her due (150 days) July 28th

date of pick up would make her latest due date (150 days) August 21st.

SOO she is WAY over due if the last breeding date was truly her last breeding.

Therefore I would presume her to not be pregnant but keep a watchful eye for the next week -- you will know soon

5. helmstead

helmstead New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Alfordsville, IN
    This sounds a lot like my Nubian, purchased pasture bred who was due "in January for sure by mid-February" that didn't kid til March... :GAAH:

6. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    I really hope she freshens. I need the milk. My Nubian didn't settle or lost it partway thru.

I guess if she is going to freshen it is going to be the one day I have to be gone for the entire day. LOL

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    pics might help, they'll get posty and droop more.

8. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    I don't have any way to post pix right now. She isn't acting at all different. Belly hasn't dropped or anything.

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'd say that you have at least another week or 2 to see something happen....hopefully she is preggy and gives you a couple girls.

10. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Have you ever read the does code of honor? this sounds like a classic case of just that. I would bet she is going to go on that second due date.
    beth

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Is she getting a utter at all?

Beth is correct. That code of honor is a real killer.

12. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    Yes, she has a nice little udder.