The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is our first year kidding (No I'm not kidding;)). Annabelle, our LaMancha, kidded while we were at church, (she did not look like she was going to any time too soon....) we returned home on Mother's Day to a damp buckling and happy mamma. On the other hand ARGG! We did not get to see how it's done! While Annabelle was fast, Ivy, is in slow motion. Ivy had a long string of goop on Saturday. Sunday (Father's Day), she was having spasms of hard contractions and was up-down, up-down by Monday morning. When I checked on her Monday morning, she had two nests, up-down, up-down, pawing, and just general agitation. Tuesday, she stoped laying down by what appears to be general discomfort with the position. She has not been known to have layed down in over 48 hours in spite of close observation. She has had spasms of severe contractions that come and go (nothing consistent) since Sunday. She has small contractions fairly regularly. Other then not having consistent hard contractions, she has not dilated much. It seems that her kid/kids is are in the bc as we have not felt them since Tuesday night. When she layed down or stood on the barn door, her rear end pooched out:scratch::help:. Any thoughts.....this is Thursday afternoon..... Will post pics after I get back from the barn.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Okay that is WAY to long for a goat to be in labor. Poor thing!
I think you should either "go in" and check her right away or call the vet post haste. One of the kids could be in a wrong position, and a little assistance could correct the problem very quickly. She's bound to be exhausted by now, if she's really worn out, you need to do something fast or she will go down.
I wish you had posted sooner. I hope she will be okay, but I wouldn't count on any kids being alive after that long.

I don't mean to scare you, but this is serious. Please call your vet anyway and tell him what's going on. It would be best for him to come and look at her. Please keep us updated.
:hug:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here are the pictures, sorry it took so long. The first two pictures, where she is laying down, were taken a few days ago. The third picture was taken just now (it just shows how she is dropped and her tailhead raised). The fourth picture is her standing against the barn door (this just shows the pressure when she is on two feet). The last three pictures show how she looks when she is on all fours. She does not appear to be in distress or exhausted at all. She is not complaining at all (Ivy is typically a quiet doe). She still likes to go outside and trot/waddle at times. I wanted to dilate her, but mom said "she is not in any kind of distress at all". Our vet is 2.5 hours away, so that is not a simple option.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I have to "go in" to check kid position, could I have somebody coach me, because I have never done anything like this before. I don't want to tear the membrane on accident and end up with a dead kid in the bc.:(

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
How can you tell she isn't dilated if you haven't gone in? I hope everything is OK with your doe. She is beautiful. I have to say though, when I've had similar kidding situations, it was not good. I've read others say the same thing. If her cervix is closed or only partially open, there is not much you can do. It's either not time yet, or you really have problems. If she is open, you need to go in there as soon as possible and sort things out. Either use an OB sleave, or wash up good. You should have some sort of lube like KY. When you start in, angle up slightly like the slope of her rump. You won't have to go far to meet the cervix. If you get past the cervix, feel for body parts of very small goats. Visualize in your mind what you are feeling. If you can feel a head and front feet, pull him out. If all you feel is feet, slide up the leg. If you feel "hocks", they are back feet and you can pull them out that way if you have them both. Otherwise do what you have to do. It's scary for the first few times, but trust me, doing nothing can be worse. If her cervix is closed, I would try to get some calcium and BoSe in her.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Lute is good too I wish I would have know about that I had one in full labor not dilate and we lost all but one by the time we got her in for a section! When you feel something is wrong start calling the vets most have an after hours number! I wish I would have listened to my gut!

Sent from my iPhone using GoatSpot

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Last night we went out there to check her and "go in". She did not have any contractions the whole time we were out there. My mom has smaller hands so she "went in" and found that the cervix was open, but no kid in the canal. Right before she "went in" Ivy's belly did some gymnastics and we observed some movement from the kids. So kids are live. I called my "goat midwife" (she runs a very large goat dairy, years of experience, thousands of births and hundreds of goats. Glad to have her input) after MUCH discussion and lots of details I described to her what was going on and all her signs. She said it sounds like a very long pre-labor. She also said that she seemed a bit low in calcium, magnesium, and vitamin D from what I described. Most of her calcium went to her milk production and left her a bit depleted for kidding. Our mentor said just to keep an eye her and not try to pull kids out yet. So we are going to give her the 10,000 iu vitamin D, 4,000 iu Cal/Mag, and vitamin C and see how she does. She is still eating fine and not acting depressed or sick at all. We will monitor her and keep everybody posted.:thumbup:

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
great! so lucky you have such a great and experienced mentor! keep us posted!

oh, and i think you'll need to give some antibiotics. i'm hoping someone chimes in about that, but all the posts I've read on someone "going in" had to give pen-G shots after....

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Will garlic work instead of penicillin, as we have life threatening penicillin allergies?

1 - 20 of 81 Posts