She isn't nursing her kids...

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Tyler, May 11, 2009.

1. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    One of my goats kidded this morning. Now she won't nurse them, or have anything to do with them. What do I do? :?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Put them in a small pen for a while til bonding happens.....might be 3 days....or more depending...upon your doe....is she a FF ?

What you can do is.... tie her up ...if she looks really tight milk out a little colostrum and syringe feed the kids....syringe slowly... at the back corner of there mouth......so to not get it into there lungs have there head level.....then try to put the kids on her..let mom smell there bottom first....if she kicks them... either hold her leg up or tie it up .....so that the kids can nurse.......you may have to come out and do this on and off until she accepts them........keep them in the small pen ...with no other goats around......Good luck.... :hug:

3. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    What is FF?

K. Thank you :)

4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You are very welcome.... :wink:

First freshener.....1st time momma.....

5. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
  6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    OK this is why she is doing it.............it is something new to her and she doesn't know what to do......teach her how..... to be a momma.......The mother instincts will come to her with a little help..... :wink: :hug:

Congrats by the way on the new additions............. :leap:

7. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Ok. It looks like I've got another tough, long job ahead of me again :wink:

Thank you! :)

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    she probably has a sore udder/teats... and it hurts when the kids try to nurse.... make sure she is milked a little.... (but don't waste the colostrum... feed it to the kids).........so she is not as sore.......It will make it easier for her.........
    It may not take that long ............when she is not as sore ......and she figures out what she is suppose to do............. it will come to her.... :wink:

9. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    The kids were born at 6:10 AM, and 6:30 AM. They haven't nursed at all today (as far as I know). I've heard that they should nurse within the first 30 minutes of being born. Is it Ok that they haven't nursed this long?

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It isn't recommended....... but if I was you........ I would get them the colostrum really quick.....Syringe them some ...if you can't get mom to stand still......it's not to late.......

11. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    I don't have a syringe. Would a baby bottle work?

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It might ........but sometimes.......... it is so hard to get a baby started on a bottle....and others can be so easy...........If you can........... like I had mentioned before tie up mom and milk her a little ...to make her less uncomfortable(tight)....it doesn't have to be alot......try to introduce the kids to the teat and force mom to take them......tie up the one leg you are working from.........either way .....they really need there colostrum...... :hug:

13. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Ok. I'm going out there right now to try that. Please pray that it will work.

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I will .............. :pray: good luck :hug:

15. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Ok. I got the bigger of the two to nurse, and he's doing fine. the smaller isn't quite getting the hang of it, and didn't get more than a drop or two of milk. He seems to be sucking on anything and everything except the udders. what should I do for the runt?

Also, the nannie still has some clotted blood hanging out from after the birth. Do I just pull it the rest of the way out?

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is good news about the bigger kid.... :) ...with the smaller one ....some are dumb at the teat and you need to work with them.....and teach them as well......the little one has the sucking reflex so that is good.......gently open the kids mouth....put the kid onto the teat.....gently squeeze the teat... so that colostrum is squirted into the mouth.... hold the kid up ...so it stays on the teat.........this takes two people... as one is tending to the mouth /teat area .....another will be tickling and lightly scratching at the base of the tail area....on top of the back...this will stimulate the kid to nurse... keep trying ...

Do not try to pull the blood hanging thing( placenta) out ......you will hurt the doe...she should pass it on her own..... in a short period of time or a couple of hours....

17. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Ok. Thanks.

I'm soooo glad I asked :wink:

18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    me to.... :wink: :hug:

Is the little kid able to stand on his own?

19. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Getting the kids to burse will cause contraction and to get the rest of the afterbirth out. Dont be surprised if you see blood and discharge for two or three weeks that is perfectly normal. Just keep try to get that little one nursing. Sometimes you have to have two people they seem to back up from the pressure of you holding them by the udder. force his mouth open and swuirt some colostrum in it and on his nose. If the sucking instinct is there he will figure it out.
    beth

20. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I'm sorry I missed this, but pam and beth gave great info :thumb: