She just kidded... I have questions?????????

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Cinder, May 22, 2009.

1. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Yeah! My doe (the on day 1028 a few days ago) FINALLY kidded. She had twin girls :girl: :girl: :stars: . They have both been up and about, moving very well. One has nursed but the other one is so active and moving around (the entire stall) that she hasn't nursed yet. They were born about an hour and a half ago - she has tried a few times but won't keep trying. The first little one is already taking a nap but the second one is still wandering around, giving a cry every little bit. Momma is doing a great job with them.

Questions:

1) At what point do I get a syringe and feed the second kid?
    2) The placenta is still hanging from momma. How long before it's expelled? Momma still looks 'fat' but shows no signs of contractions or being uncomfortable. I don't have the experience to 'bounce' her - although I tried just for the experience.

Oh, my daughter just came in and said the second little girl just nursed and has milk on her face! So - I think number one is a mute question now.

How about number 2?

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Great that the babies both have nursed!
    The afterbirth will deliver on it's own...do not pull on it, it will come out under it's own weight...all is normal there.
    As long as she is comfortable and not pushing hard like she did delivering these babies, she's done.
    She still looks big because she just gave birth, she had twins in there to stretch her for 5 months, she won't look like her prebaby self for a few days yet.
    BTW CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :stars:

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Congrats on the kids! :stars:

It can take up to 24 hours for the placenta to expel itself, so don't worry :) Also, if you go in there and can't find the placenta, then she probably ate it.

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    liz's advice was good!
    congrats on the girls!!!

5. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Thank you guys. I know not to pull on it but I didn't know if there was "time" frame that it should be expelled.

6. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    CONGRATS!!!!!!! :stars: :girl: :girl:

7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I usually give them 24 hrs to expel the placenta naturally, if its still there after that I give a shot of oxytocin, then another 24 hrs if its still there I seek vet advice.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    A big congrats..... :leap: ...how are they today?

9. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    toth boer goats asked:
    They are doing just great so far. They are already trying to climb into the feeder! LOL!

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Cinder...that is terrific to hear... :leap: ..already trying to climb into the feeder that means they are doing great and are healthy.........kids will be kids........LOL :D