She shrank

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by Iceblink, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Iceblink

Iceblink New Member

Dec 5, 2008
    So I bought a 4 month pregnant ND doe, when I picked her up from the farm she was huge, and when I went out to her pen the next morning she was pretty svelte. There wasn't anything in the straw to indicate she had aborted, but it's been a day and a half now and she's still not looking like she did originally. Not skinny, but not potbellied either.

Could the stress of moving to a new place have caused this? And what can I do about it?

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    could she have dropped the kids in preparation for birth? is her due date certain?

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well you might not be feeding her as much to keep her rumen full or she has dropped her kids a bit early in preperation for kidding in a month.

I have some days I take pictures of my goats and they look huge and then 2 days later I take pictures agian and they dont look as big. SO I know as the kids are moving and the does are eating it makes a difference in their size

4. Iceblink

Iceblink New Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Her actual due date is not at all certain, but the breeder reassured me that the earliest she could kid is April 4th.

She has free choice alfalfa, and a cup of sweet feed in the mornings, which she doesn't eat. The place she was at had about 20 goats in the pen, and gave them grain and alfalfa once a day, and when they were out, they were out. I do worry that she isn't eating enough, but she is making berries....... so that's good, right?

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Is she by herself? Does she have other goats around her?

Are you feeding her the same grain the people you got her form did? Sure Stress can cause troubles. Is she drinking plenty?

I would really spoil her for a few days, the stress of a new place and all her friends are gone, that could be pretty hard on her this late in the pregnancy.

6. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    I don't have as much experience as the others who posted here, but I would echo the fact that the kids dropping can make them look really skinny really fast. My Em looked like she had swallowed a beach ball for the last couple months of her pregnancy... REALLY wide and round.. about 5 days before kidding the kids dropped and it looked like she lost 20 lbs, no more belly!

Also, rumens really make a big difference. Is she eating?