The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not BAD funny, just WEIRD funny. I just got her a week ago, and I know sometimes they'll smell like the place they come from, but I can still smell her. Almost a sweet musty smell. It's not her breath or her urine, it's her skin and coat. She was very malnourished, but I've got her eating good and she get's more active every day. She's also extremely mineral deficient, and I keep loose mineral out free choice and she has been eating them by the bowlful! :eek: Is that okay? I've been giving her vitamins and electrolytes, probiotics, and goat balancer also. Any idea what is causing the smell? She's also 8 years old, if that helps any. :question:

·
14,615 Posts
She might get some loose poop from scarfing down the minerals she's not used to, if the little kids eat too much they get the runs.
Do you think the smell is from her skin? Sometimes a skin condition can cause that, at least in dogs if it's some sort of mange or yeast infection.
Would love to see before & after pics Im sure she'll blossom under your care.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Sounds like she is a very lucky girl to be with you now.

Maybe it is the smell of great food for a change? Sorry I have never heard of anything like that.

I would let her eat all the mineral she wants, poor baby. Yes she might get a little loose poop but if you are giving her good hay and fresh water she will be fine.

I would leave baking soda out for her as well. With all that good food she might get a tummy ache.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far no loose poop from overeating minerals, so I guess she's fine eating that much. I'm almost positive it's her skin, because as soon as she get's close to you you can smell her.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe it is the smell of great food for a change? Sorry I have never heard of anything like that.
I don't think it's the food, because she smelled like this when we got her. I guess it might still be residual odor of where she was housed before I got her? I'm thinking about bathing her and seeing if the smell goes away. Then I'll at least know if its just stink or actually a body condition.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes that's what I'm going to do! :)

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I just came in from bathing her. She didn't like getting wet, but absolutely loved the scrubbing part! lol! So, I'll go out and smell her again after she dries off, and see if it helped any!

·
1,524 Posts
My goats get a funny musty smell in the late winter/early spring when the wool undercoat gets wet from the rain. It gets that musty odor like wet dog or wet wool socks.

·
Registered
29,926 Posts
could be the kind of brush they had on property...someof that can be quite LOUD and the goats rub through it and get the scent on their coat and skin......there are some weeds out back here that are strong...we walk through it and we smell lik eit until we shower and wash our clothes...hope th bath helped ;)

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Well, I just came in from bathing her. She didn't like getting wet, but absolutely loved the scrubbing part! lol! So, I'll go out and smell her again after she dries off, and see if it helped any!
So I a thinking of bathing my goats. What did you use to keep her still? My goat is positively ornery and even if she liked the bath would run just to piss me off.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I a thinking of bathing my goats. What did you use to keep her still? My goat is positively ornery and even if she liked the bath would run just to piss me off.
Haha! I just tied her on a short rope. She wasn't to crazy about it, but didn't fight me much.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
We have Nigerians, so they go in the bathtub :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She smells better! Still not great, but you can't "smell her before you see her" anymore. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts