The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have only had this girl for a little over a month. She is up to date on vaccs and worming. I powdered her when I got her, once a wk for two wks because her coat was odd. At our place we have free feeders out of minerals and baking soda, I see her at them a lot. But I am thinking she is so low in copper it is not enough (or should I give it more time) The hair fell out overnight found her like this in the morning. There are no bugs on her. She also has what everyone calls a fish tail, the tail hair is split in two sections with the knob of the tail showing very clearly. She is eating and pooping normal and has a fiesty attitude. Your thoughts on this?

Attachments

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
I would get a skin scraping done to see what is going on. It is either mange, or some kind of mites that are making her scratch all the hair off. The way it looks is almost like she used her horns and just scratched herself on her back until the hair was gone.

·
Super Moderator
58,187 Posts
I would at least get Ivomec and do 3 shots, 10 days apart at 1cc per 40 lbs injected. You can do SQ shots. I would also copper bolus her.

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Just thought I'd update this. Here is a pic of the same goat now (a month later) The vet was no help, he admitted to not knowing much about goats and was going by what they do for sheep(tried telling me it was probably an overdose of copper, not likely because she was getting no minerals of any kind at previous owners ans she didn't have the symptoms of a copper overdose). Anyways she has now been on our diet with minerals for 2 months and is looking good. I did reworm her (the previous owners said they had dewormed her the month before I got her) thinking that perhaps the previous owners had dosed her as per a sheep (which they also had).

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts