Shear or not to shear

Discussion in 'Fuzzy Fibers' started by artzkat, Mar 3, 2008.

1. artzkat

artzkat Member

Oct 22, 2007
    West Virginia
    OK..so here it is early March, snow flying around and cold nights and my pygoras are starting to blow their coats.
    Is it too soon to shear? Since they are starting to lose their coats could I just start combing/pulling it off.
    Last year they were babies and didn't lose their coats until almost May..we did shear our A types earlier because of the hot weather. But then they were all fuzzy and hot again in August.
    I am a newbie at this and my goats are always surprising me. Can I shear twice..spring and fall, like a sheep? Will they still grow a good winter coat?
    oooh I'm sooo confused.

2. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    A's and B's can be sheared twice = 6 months apart or as close to that as you can get. If you have to shear now, keep a coat on them (GoodWill wool sweaters w/the arms cut off work perfect) for a week or so.

I wouldn't shear the C's if you want to do anything with the fleece = just pluck or comb the fleece. If you shear a C, you'd never get all the guard hair out.

3. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    I would shear, get wool sweaters from the thrift store, and give them a little more bedding. Otherwise you may loose the fleece.
    hth