Sheared a goat!

Discussion in 'Fuzzy Fibers' started by jBlaze, Feb 24, 2008.

1. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    I finally got another goat sheared! It has been warmer durring the days here, I talked with a pygora breeder and she says YES shear, she feels she is behind. So I sheared the doe that is due next week, that I did not get to shear last fall. She looks so cute, she has wattles right under her ears, like ear-rings. I took picts, but have to wait to up-load them. I was bummed to see that she still has lice. :( I think that with all the hair, they always found a place to hide.) At least she was just kept with the buck, so hopefully only those two have it and it did not spread. Grrr. Darn free goats, never again! free just means problems. I dusted her with the poultry dust, hope she takes it, I would hate for the babies to get lice, or for her to get sick. Grrr. fingers crossed. I wil try the pour on on the buck, cause till I get him sheared, the dust won't make it through all that hair. (yes, I know there are those who advise against the pour on, but what else am I gonna do? the ivermectin subq didn't do it.)
    I have 8 more to shear! I hope I can get to them before the fleece gets icky.

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    You can try the ivomec/ivermectin again. I used apple cider vinegar and that worked wonders! Just spray it on. I don't think it will do anything to their coat but I am not sure. I think it would be best to sheer them before you use the ACV. Just sheering should help since lice don't like the light. :wink:

3. weedeaterfarm

weedeaterfarm Junior Member

Feb 12, 2008
    New Mexico
    Lice a present on ALL angora goats, probably all goats. They can be worse on some than others. Since lice are species specific, they won't go to other animals or humans. Mites on the other hand will move from species to species, so will fleas.

4. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    So, what is the temp? It's been cold the last few days, under 15* at night. But the next few days will be 30's plus. I hate to shear them if they'll be cold! They can get into the barn, and I think they've been sleeping "in". But, I can't wait to shear, the fleece looks great and last year I waited to long and it got matted. So, I'm waiting a little longer. Cross my fingers.

Di

5. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    You can shear then and put wool sweaters on then and add some more straw to their pen. Maybe keep then in at night for a few. It is really amazing how quickly they grow fleece. And the sweater will help them adjust. Here it is about 30* at night and up to 55* in the daytime. But the breeder I got them from started a month ago, when it was still 20* at night and 38* in the day. I felt bad shearing now too, but she says heck no. If your barn is drafty you can use a dog house that will trap their body heat., or even just put a bale of straw in their pen for them to snug up next to. I have done that before.
    HTH :)

6. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Well, I'm going to shear three goats tomorrow! Fleece still looks pretty good. They are still in the barn for the most part...let them out during the day with their little kiddies. My DIL is coming to help me, I hope, she's a pretty good hand! Wish me luck. And can somebody tell me how they handle fleeces they want to show? Thanks, Di

7. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Sorry, but I konw nothing of showing fleece. Try calling someone who does. Here there is Hawks Mountain Ranch and Chimera Creek that do well at shows. Both are on duhgoatman site. Hope it goes well!