Shearing day today

Discussion in 'Fuzzy Fibers' started by keren, Apr 4, 2009.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Just waiting for the shearer to arrive.

The goats are not happy that I've locked them all into the yards. The sheep is not happy she's locked in with the goats. They are all not happy that I took away their food and water last night. They will be even more unhappy once the shearer arrives and does his thing.

I'll try to take some pics if I get a chance.

Only got 7 goats and a sheep to do today, much much easier than the 50 odd last time.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    busy ...busy.....at least... they will be alot lighter in weight and cooler.... :wink:

3. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Why do you take away their food and water? Do they have problems if they are fed before they are shorn?

4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that is a good question... :wink: ..maybe it is so they don't soil or poo on the wool as much.....just a guess? :shrug:

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yeah im interested to know that as well...get any pics??

6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    yes, I got pics, been a bit slack uploading them though

the reason for withholding food and water is so they dont soil the fleece ... when I shear a big mob I take them to my mentor's shearing shed, which has slatted floor so any manure and urine drops through and so they dont get dirty if they sit down. But because they were a small group, we just did them here at home, obviously the holding pens arent slatted (just dirt!) so whatever comes out of them is in the pen with them. The actual shearing was done on a tarp. Again, didnt want them soiling that.

Promise to have pics soon! Keep hassling me if I dont post them!

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    My guess was right...... :greengrin:

can't wait for pics....... :)

8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Here's some random happy snaps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Very interesting! Thank you for the pics. So, I notice he doesn't have a lead or any restraint on the animal...is this because they are used to this and don't try to run off? When we did the pygora's one of us held the other sheared...but then we weren't experienced goat shearers, either.

10. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Di, a lead etc would get in the way of shearing the animal. Shearers try to do it as fast as they can, so they dont want to have to bother with undoing a collar to shear the neck etc. There are certain ways he holds the animal, and different areas he presses on to keep them lying there. But no, they dont exactly lie there nicely, even the old ones that should be used to it. Sheep do, they hardly struggle but you know what goats are like! lol goats wiggle and struggle and kick, and they SCREAM the whole time they are being shorn! With my big buck I hold the horns for him, just because he's so big.

occasionally they get away but not very often.

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    thanks for the pics....I enjoy them......

But hey .......now ...the sheep are naked... :shocked: :dance: :ROFL:

12. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Yep, I took some nekkid sheep and goat photos yesterday, havent uploaded them yet. They look terrible for about a month.

I was pleased to see they werent too skinny under all that hair. Normally they put all their feed into growing mohair, and they are skinny little rakes at shearing time, you can see the ribs and backbone and they look awful. I've been playing around a bit with the ration and the amount they are getting, and they look so much better this time! Bit of flesh on them. That bodes well for kidding time too, as they've just been joined we should have lots of twins :thumb:

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yea ...they do look really good....with keeping up... on there weight.....you definitely.. must of fed them right.... :wink: