Shears ??????

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, Jun 2, 2010.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I am looking to buy some shears....my guys are no show goats, but they are hot and need some cooling! I am wanting a good basic pair of shears.....any suggestions on brands or where to buy would be so appreciated!

2. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    I have an Oster A5 horse clipper that works very well and blades are widely available. It's a very common model and prices are all over the map, so shop online thoroughly. Amazon has the Golden A5 2speed clipper for 121 dollars, which is a good price. I paid that much 5 years ago when I bought mine at PetSmart. My only complaint is with the blades. I can really only get about two good show clips on clean goats before they start to dull and need to be sent out for sharpening. Maybe I'm just picky. So I've collected an assortment of blades and have a bunch of size 10 and 30 blades in order to have a sharp set when needed. I find perfectly good used blades on Ebay all the time for way less than half what they cost new. I use a wide skiptooth 10 on my non-show goats for their quick summer cuts.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Osters an Andies are good

the number 10 comes standard with these types of clippers but you dont have to use a 10 you can get like a 5 or 7 which will leave more hair on the goat.

As to them dulling fast -- thats not good those blades are meant to be used over and over again before dulling. What i found worked to keep them in good workign order for longer is to use lamp oil during the cuts. This cools down the blades and lubricates them which keeps them sharp and functioning much better. I just run it in the lamp oil whenever I feel they are getting hot. Its cheeper then blade wash to and lubricant. I do this before putting them away as well.