Sheep Breeders...Question!

Discussion in 'Other Animals For Sale' started by Itchysmom, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    I know horses...when a mare foals she will go into a foal heat in aproximently 30 days and can be bred back. Are sheep the same? The sheep I am getting had babies a month ago and the owner said they are now bred back. Is this possible?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    im no sheep breeder but with goats they can be bred back the week after kidding. Beings that sheep and goats are similar I presume this to be possible with them as well

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yeah, I do believe that is completely possible. But i'm not a sheep expert...i'm assuming they are probably bred back if they were with a ram after lambing for a month.

4. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Thanks, I wasn't sure. The owner said the rams were in with the ewes and that they are bred. I guess we shall se a few months from now. Bummer is they will then be having lambs in late Dec early Jan...coldest months. AND these ewes each had a single lamb and they all dead. Owner has no clue why. Great, now I have to be on guard and watch when they get close. I hope owner at least can tell me what week they were possibly bred!

5. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Yep. They can be bred back. Do you get real snow in the winter? If so watch out for crows. If a sheep lays down and it's damp, they can freeze into the snow. (just the wool/hair) The crows will come down and go for the eyes. Sometimes so bad the sheep dies. They will go for lambs just as bad as coyotes will. They are on the hit list of pest wildlife. :greengrin:

Gina

6. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    Weird! My sheep have never done this and are in with a ram all the time... I thought they were seasonal breeders and only came into heat in Fall. It sure would be nice to get 2 lamb crops a year though. Maybe it depends on the breed?

7. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    mrs lam: I will dfinitely watch for THAT! We do get snow. My guys are hair sheep tho, so I hope that will not be a problem.

farmergal: Since I am new to sheep, this will be learning as I go! All I know is that the owner said the ewes were bred back already.

8. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    Aha, so they are hair sheep... if they are from St. Croix or Katahdin stock they will breed year round just like Nigerians... so I'm guessing that's how they ended up "bred back" :)

9. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    They are Barbados sheep..American black belly. as far as I know they are year round breeders. The rams are Shetland, so who knows ?