Sheep from today ????'s

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by kelebek, Jan 3, 2009.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    So there was an add on my local craigslist yesterday looking for someone to trim an ewes hooves, which I offer this service, and it was in the town that i was going to today, so I emailed and said that I would do it.

This morning, they emailed me back and called, and I talked to them on the phone to find out that they own property back behind us and the gentleman helped my husband last spring. So I said that I would do it and that we would be there around noon. He let me know that just a bit ago, this ewe's buddy passed away and she wasn't settling in being by herself. I was a little worried.

When I got there, her hooves were just AWEFUL!!!!!!!!!!!! I have never seen them so bad. I wish that I would have taken pictures so that this would be easier to explain - i told them that I would check into what they need to do.

The back hooves, just needing trimmed and not look pretty good - overgrown by about 3 inches - but the quick area looked good and healthy. The fronts were a whole nother issue....

The fronts looked to have a bit of hoof rott, sides were all broken apart, almost seemed like the quick area was growing like a "moss" type stuff. It was still the soft area, but growing out in splotches. It was WEIRD. anyone have any ideas? I trimmed some of the growth off - and it didn't seem to bother her, no blood to the growths when they were trimmed, but didn't want to take it all the way down or cut on more then one - was just seeing if there was blood flow to it.

The sheep is on irrigated pasture during the year, a hair sheep - unsure of breed - severely overweight, obviously depressed, needs sheering desperately, and not eating real well since the pasture mate passed. Did see her eating bark though off of the tree. Has access to minerals, water, and alfalfa hay, clean bedding and shelter.... .but lets just say she was so fat, that after the trim I had to help her roll over to get up.

So after we left from chatting with the hubby, did what we needed in town and were on our way home, the wife called. I told her what i found, that I was looking more into it, and would email them how to trim hooves, how to take care of the infections, and offered one of my wethers to keep the ewe company till he gets a new sheep as a companion. She asked if I would be willing to bring her up here, since her hubby hates goats (she wants goats). I told her we could work something out for her to stay here. Then she offered to give her to me because she feels like a BAD pet owner. I explained that we all have to learn, and that I would help her as much as I could because I know that she loves that ewe - she means well - just ignorant. She seemed happy with that and really wants a goat kid when they are born. She is going to talk to her DH and see about coming to the house tomorrow as they need to come up to check their cabin anyway to make sure the roof did not give way. So she is going to call me.

What do you think could be wrong with the hooves?

Would you be willing to help them to "learn" how to care for the sheep?

Would you be willing to take the sheep in for a short period and care for it and get its hooves good until a kid is born (approx 2 months)?

Would you just take "custody" of the sheep?

I really don't want a hair sheep - but I could breed her to my ram for meat lambs......

If I were to board her and work on her hooves, what would be an acceptable charge??

2. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    I think the growth might have been fungi? I dunno.
    And i would definately help them and try to teach them, they sound like they need a bit of guidance on what they are doing.
    I would care for it, yes.
    Custody, meaning keep it, or caring for it like it were your own? xD
    Aand I am unsure of the value of your dollar so you will need someone else for that :p

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I would definately link some website on hoof care, feeding, managing, etc. If they're going to be getting a goat from you, you're definately going to wanta make sure they know how to do all that stuff.

As for the sheep's hooves...I am not sure, sounds like foot rot and i'm not sure, but it sounds terrible. It's hard to say what it was without a picture, your description tells me it musta been pretty bad.

As long as the ewe is healthy, i'd go ahead and take it IF she won't be a big job. If you can correct her hooves and raise a few lambs out of her that would probably be worth it. Maybe they'd want her back once you got her hoof problem corrected IF it's correctable. If it's a big job to correct it then i'd pass and just show them what to do.

I wouldn't board her or keep her for awhile.

4. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    if it was foot rot it would smell horribly.

i used to help a lady who "rescued" animals.. i think she was a collector.

but she "rescued " two sheep.. and they both had hoof rot.. the smell would make you want to vomit

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Thanks for the input so far - it was the weirdest thing that I ever seen - even hubby said before I could - OH MAN, those are bad. I was so proud of him for recognizing.

Tomorrow, if they come up, I am going to pull a few of my goats out and show them what the hooves should look like and how to trim. I am also sending links and what not. They had NO idea that they needed to be trimmed every 6 weeks or so.

By NO means are these bad people, please do not get me wrong, they were just ignorant to the the care. They are actually both very very nice people.

The smell was not aweful - I could see where some was starting for sure, but the other, I just had NEVER seen before. It was almost like "cauliflower" looking on the pads of the hoof

6. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    Oh nasty.
    I think it would be fungi, if it had a cauliflower texture.

7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Few things -

1. If its a hair sheep, how come it is in desperate need of a shearing? :?

2. I would NOT bring the animal back to my place unless you have EXTREMELY good quarrantine procedures - you do not want to introduce whatever the sheep has to your goats.

3. I would sell/give them a wether now, but for the same reasons above I wouldnt lend them one to run with the sheep and get it back later.

4. As for the feet - I believe it is a combination of founder - from her being so overweight, on irrigated pasture - which has made the feet grow so long, and 'strawberry feet' - which is a sort of footrot which sheep are prone to, it doesnt necessarily smell but it looks kinda like a cauliflower or strawberry lump. The ewe needs to be put onto a starvation paddock/pen, given low quality hay or straw, got out of the lush green pasture and onto a very dry area, keep those feet trimmed and put her on a good long course of antibiotics. Keeping the feet sprayed with chloromide/iodine or something similar wouldnt go astray either.

5. By all means, I would do as much as I could to help these people out. If they truly love this ewe, and have just ended up this way through ignorance, I see no reason to confiscate the animal, as long as they are willing to do what it takes to get her back on her feet (no pun intended)

Good luck and keep us updated :greengrin:

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am not sure exactly what breed of sheep that she is - but for some reason I think that she is a dorset. So she is one that should be sheered twice a year - but didn't get sheered.

I will let them know what I found, but unfortunately I can not give/sell one of my wethers to them because I promised the people that I got them from that they could live out their lives here unless there comes extenuating circumstances and we have to sell out.

I will put some feelers out and see what I can find for them as a companion. To bad my ewes have not lambed yet.

I will try to get them to take some pics of the hooves if possible.

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I wouldn't bring the sheep onto your property without some kind of blood testing. You don't want to compromise the health of your herd since I know you test your guys for everything before purchasing.

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Yah, I would definately test for things before hand. I just wish that I knew exactly what it was on those front hooves - I am really starting to wonder if it was from being on pasture and wet for so long. You know - how your hands prune when they are wet for a long time........?? There is so much snow now here, that there is a bit of area for her to walk on with clean draw straw - but not much - but there are paths that she can walk on.

11. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    It could be thrush. Pour some straight iodine on her feet. If there are places to pack then pack straight iodine soaked gauze into those places. If she will let you soak her feet then Epsom salts will also help.