Sheep info

Discussion in 'Other Animals For Sale' started by Itchysmom, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Does any one here have sheep? A friend is willing to give me some sheep and I would like to do some research. Any links or BB's on sheep are greatly appreciated!

2. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Yep! I have two. One is Moose, a hair sheep (he sheds his hair so I just brush him instead of shearing) And Baa Baa, who is a wool sheep. This was my first year clipping him. We used hand shears and a pair of scissors. It took about 40 minutes and Baa Baa was very down afterwords. You think he would be cooler. (he is) He's just vane. :doh:

Go to Garlic Barrier and read about garlic juice. I use it and love it. I also put apple cider vinegar in the water. If you are raising for meat, (we don't) it gives a sweeter flavor to the meat. It also makes shearing easier something to do with the lanolin in the wool. We use it because they like it, it keeps slime out of the buckets and it's healthy.

Lets see....you trim the hoofs same as goats. Most of the same meds. Don't feed goat feed or goat mineral. (copper)

Never give them anything with copper. I fed goat and sheep DQ from Tractor Supply with a sheep block. (they love) I give my goats copper by themselves.

Both of mine are wethers. I was told rams don't tend to smell as bad as bucks but they do get cranky when someone is in heat.

What kind are you getting? Some breeds are jumpers so fence height could be an issue. Talk to the owner and ask how she handles them, sex and age of the sheep, any quirks. Moose likes watermelon, Baa Baa doesn't. Go figure. :shrug:

They make a magazine called SHEEP! as well. It's mostly meat sheep though.

Find out what you can about them and let me know. I'm more than happy to help if I can. You can probably tell I love my sheep. :p

Gina The sheep whisperer. Hee hee

3. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Thanks Gina!

They are Barbados Black Bottom Sheep. Meat in other words. The owner wants to change over to Sheltlands for thier wool.

I am going to go to her place soon to look at them and ask many many questions! She is at a slighter higher attitude than me so they are definitely acclumated to our weather.

I eventually want to be able to keep the goats, sheep and horse all on the pasture during the summer months. I did figure on bringing them in at night tho. Horses can survive as they have for years! I did also see that copper is a no no for sheep so will feed that seperately to the goats.

If I think of any questions I will be sure to look you up. Thanks again for the info so far!

4. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    No problem. :greengrin: Moose is a barbie. Katahdin's are also nice. I had one named Dobie but my horse killed him. :tears: He was so sweet. At least he had a good 2 weeks with us. He had it bad before we got him.

Let me know when you get them. I'll be back on Monday. Have a great Fourth!

Gina