The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using 5' horse panels for my fencing across my yard and the shared fence with a neighbor on the side. Then my neighbor took down the fence between our properties without letting me know, so I had ducks and chickens and goats wandering the neighborhood.

Because I needed a fence right away, I settled for the Sheep panels which are 4'6".

The border fence has been replaced with a white plastic one so I went out to remove one panel to let the goats eat in the area between the two fences.

As soon as I pulled one side to make an opening, the yearlings squeezed through. The older goats, seeing them eating in the tall grass, just jumped over it. And cleared it by a foot.

So the reality is that even my horse panels are not really keeping them in, they just don't want to be out enough to make the jump.

· Registered
1,020 Posts
Its a rare goat that will attempt to clear a five foot panel. I'm not saying the occasional goat won't attempt it if they really want out, but I've personally never seen it. I've only ever had one goat try our 4'6" panels and it got hung up and broke its back leg. Of course our goats are not allowed to stand on the fences so that really discourages them trying to get over.

I have watched goats for friends that easily cleared our 4 ft field fence. Right up until I added the hot wire on top!

· Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw how some of you train your goats to load. I just walk mine to the back of the minivan and they step in. But I will start using the pickup when I get the rack in, so I thought I'd train them to jump. (also in prep for some slot canyons)

I'd have them jump on the dog shed, then on an old car, then on the picnic table, then on top of a 55 gal drum. They were getting pretty good.

So they probably practice at night when I'm not looking...

Since I have four extra panels now, I'm going to use them up front to move them around the garden area. My goats just walk through an electric fence, but it may work as a top rail. I'll have to try it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.