Sheep question mainly for Keren !

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by lesserweevil, May 14, 2009.

1. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    :greengrin:

(well I figured she'd know :ROFL: )

The sheep that lambed last Wednesday... ok the sheep that had her lambs forcibly dragged from her, last Wednesday... still won't let the lamb suck. At all.

She's quite content with it in the pen with her - in fact, she will call to it if you take it out... but the moment it goes near her udder she turns into a bucking bronco and kicks/hits it away.

I have tied her to the wall - but this doesn't seem to be working as obviously she needs enough slack to be able to lie down and eat and drink. It's not quite the same as her having a lamb she likes and a lamb she hates - because it's just the one lamb and she HATES any contact.

She has plenty of milk... but the only way she will feed the lamb is when you push her up against the wall and put your knee in her neck.

The mere touch of the little thing sends her into convulsions - while he can stand right next to her head and she'll talk to him.

What should I do next? :hair:

LW

2. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    Not keren, but if she torn inside the lamb nursing will cause contractions that will cause her pain. Have you milk her any? Does she act the same why? I would talk to the vet and get their opinion on it. From what you say she wants to be a good mom, but something causing pain when the lamb nurses. Shelly

3. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    The back of her udder is hard - a bit like previous mastitis? Except... she's a first freshener. Also, the milk is normal coming out. I have taken her temperature, it is normal. She is no longer swollen like she was last week. She is acting totally fine, eating and drinking, walking around.

I have untied her, it is just annoying me. I put the lamb on Demi to feed tonight - it got the idea pretty quick - until she tried to bite him and then he decided it was safer between my legs.

:shrug:

LW

PS I'm thinking I'll probably sell her once the lamb is weaned - or before if she won't take care of him!!!

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If you milk her a bit.... to make her more comfortable and less sore... before you put the kid on her ...it should make it easier for her to except the kid........tie her up semi snug but not tight.......then tie up her back leg ( the one that you will be on) at a comfortable height ... so she cannot move away or kick the baby.......you may have to do this for a while ...after you are done feeding the baby... then you can untie her....until she gets use to it ....for a FF ...they don't know what to do sometimes and with a little help....it doesn't take long......to teach them how to be momma :wink:
    after the soreness goes away ...she should be good with the baby....because she shows signs of caring .........teach the kid to suckle from both sides...... :wink: good luck :hug:

have them in a small pen....... so they can bond .........with no other animals in with them..

5. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    They're in a small pen - 1.5m^2, have been there for over a week. Alone. No other animals.

Been doing the "hold the sheep and dont let it kick the lamb" routine 3 times a day now for over a week :shrug:

She is not tight with milk - she has milk but is not tight - because she is being Forced To Feed Him.

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow.............I am sorry you are having problems.....sorry I couldn't help...but thought I'd give it a try.......I hope keren has a good option for you........ :hug: :pray:

How does her milk look ....is it normal in color and texture....?

7. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Maybe just having the lamb suckle is bringing back bad memories for her. Sounds strange, but maybe? I am assuming that she lets you milk her with no problems, or? Perhaps the bucking of her udders hurts her inside when he nurses.

8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I hate to say it, but I think you may be stuck doing this until he's weaned :( Or at least until he's a bit bigger and stronger

What I would do is continue holding her, although I'd only do it twice a day if I was busy

The other thing I'd do is get a wire crate, and put the lamb in that between feeds (or partition off a section of the pen), you may even need to make it so that she cant touch noses with him. Basically the idea is, since she loves the lamb, she isnt allowed to love it except at feeding times. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesnt.

Another thing I would try is leave her tied 24/7, lengthen it a bit so that she can eat drink and lay down, but also try a pair of hobbles on her. It might slow her down enough for him to sneak in a few sucks every now and then.

But honestly, I dont think this ewe is gonna properly accept the lamb ... it sounds too different to a classic maiden ewe behaviour, and is going on too long. I think you are probably stuck holding her a couple times a day (but hey, its better than bottle feeding), at least until he's a few weeks old and strong enough to pester at her, and sneak a feed.

Alternatively ... see if the lamb sucks a bottle, sell it as a bottle baby ... or just give it a feed off Demi when you milk her ... or eat the lamb (bit like capretto lol) ...

I usually like to give my girls a second chance, but yeah, if I had one that I couldnt get to accept the kid/lamb after a couple weeks, she probably wouldnt get the second chance. I did that once and paid for it - really well bred, lovely Boer doe had twins, rejected both, I bottle fed the doe and let the buck kid steal from her (tied her up in pen, hobbles) what he could, well he turned out a runt and the doe kid grew beautifully but ended up infertile. Gave the mum another chance and the next year she spat out two tiny tiny doe kids and walked off, no milk whatsoever, one doe kid died within an hour of birth, the other one lived to two days and just died, no idea why. She was a brilliant little doe kid too. Needless to say the mum ended up mince.

9. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Hey Keren what do you think of the idea of turning the ewe out, keeping the lamb in and holding Demi for him a couple of times a day?

I'm thinking it's going to be difficult keeping the ewe in, as sheep aren't "intended" for indoors and it is tough feeding etc. inside for her health, long term.

The idea of catching the ewe in the field a couple of times a day doesn't appeal any longer! ROFL

I'm considering sending them both to the mart together - but that's a tough one as usually you get a bad price for "ewe and lamb" as the buyers always know there's something wrong .

Pretty sure now this ewe will be GOING. In fact I could always save on feed and send her last week!!! (well... almost)

LW

10. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I'm always loathe to give up, because they all have to earn their keep around here, but yeah, honestly I'd probably give up on the ewe, wait till the withdrawal time is over on her meds and her butt is healed a bit, then send her into the yards. You have a handy source of milk there in Demi, and provided she's easy enough to hang onto to let the lamb nurse, I'd probably do that. You are going to be working with her twice a day anyway to milk her (not sure if you are doing that now, but eventually you will be) so its not that much harder to let the lamb drink his fill before you milk.

You are right, there's no point in feeding the mum if she's not paying her way. I say send her to market, but I wouldnt send the lamb as well - you've got a free source of milk there for him so take advantage of it. Twice daily feeding should be fine for him but if you think he's struggling, bump him up to three times.

11. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oh yeah Demi has plenty - she's giving 3 - 4 litres of milk daily PLUS feeding the twins - and that's with no separation necessary! One side of her udder is massive - teat included - and has TONS of milk that the kids cant get at - they can't get their mouths around the teat properly ROFL

LW

12. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    sounds like a perfect solution :thumb:

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    good luck ...lesserweevil.... :hug: