The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know most choose banding to castrate but if anyone knows a Burdizzo crone out there...help?

We've been using the emasculatome tool to castrate our sheep (Katahdin) and goats for several years. Our wethered goat males don't stick around long, but I've never heard of any issues from them. We're a little confused with what is happening in our sheep flock.

We're careful with the tool, following directions (one on each side, staggered, holding spermatic chord and keeping tool clamped...) every time. We really like letting the ram lambs grow and be boys for the first month or so, then we castrate. We check for success about a month later.

Last night, we sorted sheep and checked everyone over. (I am SO stinking proud of our flock; they are muscle-y and have outstanding parasite resistance. They are friendly and just plain awesome). We had a buck apron on one because we thought we missed a side. My husband saw a ram lamb mounting and extending and got worried so we felt them all up during our check. Looking at the sacs, they look nothing like the size of an uncastrated lamb wether this age- the scrotum is very small and arrowhead shaped (vs more teardrop typical of intact). Our mini-nubian goat buck, about the same age, has a much bigger sac (lambs are pushing 100# and he's 60?). Some testes feel totally empty, most feel like there's a cylindrical testical in there- about the size of half of a pinky finger. When we missed one side last year it was obvious by it's bulbous shape and size. It was very lopsided but these you can't see much difference- only feel. We got worried and separated all the ram lambs last night.

Are we being paranoid and the mounting/extending antics are fruitless? I'd expect all the testicles to feel more similarly empty.

Sheep keepers I know: @fivemoremiles, @happybleats, @Jubillee

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,852 Posts
Hmmm we don't use the burdizo, we wether ours with the band. We do have one currently that I can see we missed a testicle and he's got a little bulge there. I also caught him trying to mount ewes. This is strange, I'd think you'd find some form of a testicle if you missed it. Could it possibly have not descended?

Also, I LOVE our Katahdins are so parasite resistant. Crazy resistant it seems. Nothing like our goats lol. I also don't have to trim hooves very often either.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
The only other thought, do the sacs go away completely with that method? I'm wondering if possible one of the tubes didn't get fully crushed.

Our wethers generally don't extend or really mount ours (esp with the ram of our choice in there)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Of the 6 ram lambs we checked, one felt obviously empty on both sides, the others we could feel one nub in each, and one of them we felt 2. So, do you see your wethered ram lambs mounting? We do see the ewe lambs doing it sometimes too- but the extension is worrisome! I can't remember if we've seen this before with the wethered ram lambs. We have another month until our ram gets turned in.

Yeah, after goat FAMACHAs we get giddy to see deep red lids, one after the other! In the last three years we've dosed one lamb with dewormer.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only other thought, do the sacs go away completely with that method? I'm wondering if possible one of the tubes didn't get fully crushed.

Our wethers generally don't extend or really mount ours (esp with the ram of our choice in there)
No, nott completely. They might get a teeny bit bigger but they don't shrivel, dry or harden.

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
I hope I understand the quesrion correct, if not forgive my blundering lol
Any rams we had were banded. It's been a few years since we had sheep but seem to remember testes followed suite like goats. Shriveled up. We never used the crush method.
From how I understand any wethering method should not produce an extension. So if he's extending himself. He will need to be redone.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My goat wether would extend and act a little bucky, for sure, especially once around an intact buck. Monkey see, monkey do. He definitely was castrated as I watched the banding and picked up the dried scrotum.

...I guess I'm not too worried about the extension but these scrotal sacs have me stumped. I can't imagine why there would be puny testicles. They should be flat and empty, or big and bulbous. Their ram was only a month older when he came here and was very rammy- scrotal size, a little mane, aggressively chasing ewes and scouting them, doing the snifffy-lip-curl thing. These lambs very much behave and look like chill wethers.

Maybe I'll try calling the vet on Monday and see what they say. They'll probably tell me to just give everyone dewormer. 😆 they can be such alarmists.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Dad was a veterinarian he told me cut or band when you castrate. Any other method is unreliable. I have always followed his advice.
You can band large rams up to 80 pounds. Just slide one testicle at a time through the band.
I find that a tri bander works best. And is easier to use because it locks open. Let's you have use of both hands.
I just lately gave up on wool. I have 5 tons of wool in the barn I can't sell. So two weeks ago I sold 85 ewes so I can buy 30 katadian ewe lambs. They will be here on Monday

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I know some like the burdizzo method, but for me, I like the banding because I see them shrivel and fall off and I...in general...don't have to worry. We have 4 wethers out there and all are smooth and nothing there except the one guy that had a bulge when I inspected them. Our ram is a Feb lamb, his are def quite large. No mistaking it. Ours lives with the girls all the time. Our ewes wont cycle until late Oct into Nov. It's weird. Last year I wrote down Oct 24th as the first breedings I saw. This is a new ram so hopefully he knows his job once they start coming in heat. I did see the ewes all headbutting each other today so maybe soon!

·
Super Moderator
14,790 Posts
We had the same issue when we tried the burdizzo method. They never really went away like the totally flawlessly ones did but they never grew like the obvious botched jobs did. I honestly can’t tell you why it did that. Maybe enough damage to keep them from maturing like they should? Maybe the tubs were snapped but the blood flow was not? I don’t know but not doing what it should 100%, we changed to banding. As jubilee said you can physically see it is working.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I use a burdizzo, and the testes atrophy and shrink, but they don't disappear. Same as banding, you should give them 3 or 4 weeks to be sure all the sperm has died or left their system. I have a castrated wether with no testicles who mounts the does with full extension. He's four years old, and absolutely doesn't reproduce, and he is my best heat detector. He loves his job.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@CrazyDogLady, have you just used it on goats? We've had plenty of successes, and honestly, I think these wethered lambs are a success too (especially since we're not seeing other signs of ramminess). Maybe I just need to stop feeling all their testicles so much and not worry.

·
Registered
994 Posts
@CrazyDogLady, have you just used it on goats? We've had plenty of successes, and honestly, I think these wethered lambs are a success too (especially since we're not seeing other signs of ramminess). Maybe I just need to stop feeling all their testicles so much and not worry.
Yes, just on goats.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I asked Deborah Neimann too; she has relied on this tool a lot and had great success. We're all of the thinking that these were wethered correctly. Below is a photo showing two of them, FYI. The white one is barely visible. An intact, functioning ram would be pretty big. If we have March babies then I'll be buying banding stuff next spring!
Plant Working animal Dog breed Fawn Terrestrial animal

1 - 16 of 16 Posts