The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a young sheep girl with a broken leg.

So I splinted it and have her up near the house in our old macaw aviary. lol

I gave her two asprin crushed with some sugar water yesterday. How much asprin can I give her safely?

I do not have banamine. Well, maybe I could find some in the cabinet somewhere... Probably not enough for her though.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Advice?

I am not going the vet route. If I cannot use home fixing, I will put her down.

·
Registered
617 Posts
That's good that she is up on it,I found a stickie on here that said give one 325 mg aspirin per 10 lbs,but I think it is supposed to be one per 100 lbs,I would feel more comfortable with that,she will need it,so it's broke above or below the knee

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think it's broke badly. She seemed in a LOT of pain when I was splinting it but otherwise doesn't seem to be in that much pain. I looked and I do NOT have banamine. I do have valium oral, injectable valium, asprin, Tylenol (which I think is a no no), ibuprophen, and a few other prescription pain killers/muscle relaxers.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Its double the human adult dose on aspirin I believe. I give my 70lb goat 1 325mg aspirin. Aspirin isthent absorbed.well in the rumen so it takes.more.for.ruminants.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Stick with aspirin unless you can get banamine

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
I'm not sure if it is any consolation (and I know it is kind of stupid & slightly off-topic), but my cat suffered a bad butterfly fracture to her front leg by falling from a tree. Our veterinary options were amputation or plate surgery. We took her home and 3 weeks later she was completely fine. No limp, no pain... nothing. Before, she wouldn't even walk.

Animals have miraculous healing powers! I hope your ewe gets better. Just try to keep her still and pretty immobile.

·
goat girl x0x0
2,478 Posts
Where is it broken? If its not too bad I'm sure she'll heal up find on her own. I had an old friend who's sheep broke her leg once or twice and she did okay without any vet help. :)

·
Registered
29,851 Posts
You can also use a pool noodle if you need something softer to brace the leg..Hopefully she will mend just fine..

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you have Meloxicam or Tramadol?
I just stumbled across this old post.

I'm actually ON tramadol now! Whats the goat dose? I have a script for WAY MORE than I'll ever actually take so I figured I could stockpile for livestock use if it's livestock friendly.

·
Registered
29,851 Posts
lol..I was about to suggest keeping with aspirin...Banamine might make her feel too good and injure herself further lol...How did the lamb do?

not sure about the other drugs...Ill let goat hiker remark on that one...lol

1 - 20 of 35 Posts