The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
A goat friend of mine has A-Frame type shelters in pens that are away from her main barn, using plywood and framing with 2x4's a shelter can be made that is 8 feet deep and angled to accommodate the height of the goat at the peak, closing off the backside and placing the opening away from weather direction as well as a good layer of bedding, her Nigerians snuggle together for warmth, 3-4 can fit comfortably provided there's no herd bullies who will keep others away from the shelter. IF this is the route you go, I suggest providing at least 2-3 A-Frames for a herd of 6

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
need shelter ideas to keep my goats warm during winter.
The easiest and cheapest is to make a hoop house out of a 16' cattle panel and a tarp. If you have some 2 X 4's laying around you can make a frame, attach the cattle panel so it is in a half circle and then stand it up. Might want to add a steel post or 4 for added stability or drill holes in the 2X4 and add anchors if you get a lot of wind. Drape the tarp over it and wire.

Another option is to check with the farm places that spray fertilizer and see if they have any poly tanks with a hole or crack. A lot of times they will give them away for nothing since they are useless. Cut a whole for a doorway, throw in some bedding and you're good to go. I wouldn't use tanks that have had pesticides or herbicides, though. Plastic tends to absorb and I would be afraid of toxicity.

3rd option is pallets. With this one you can either use screws to put 4 pallets together to make a 3-sided house, then cover with tin or a tarp or you can use 2X4's to make it 1 pallet deep, 2 or 3 pallets wide. Use 2X4's to stabilize the roof, cover with tin or tarp, add bedding, and you've got a shelter.

4th option is a covered dog kennel. Add a tarp or canvas to cover 3 sides.

5th option - if you live in an area that has hogs check around and see if anyone has a hog house they don't want or need. A hog house is a small quonset type building that, at least around here, is about 4' tall and 6' long. Don't put it next to a fence, though. Goats have been known to jump on top of it and go over the fence. Don't ask me how I know this. :laugh:

6th option - depending on how many goats you have - is a large dog house. Don't put it next to a fence, however, as the goats will jump on top of it and go over the fence.

·
Registered
65 Posts
3rd option is pallets. With this one you can either use screws to put 4 pallets together to make a 3-sided house, then cover with tin or a tarp or you can use 2X4's to make it 1 pallet deep, 2 or 3 pallets wide. Use 2X4's to stabilize the roof, cover with tin or tarp, add bedding, and you've got a shelter.
I used this method...

image-2146241328.jpg

Plus I have a few dog houses as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
need shelter ideas to keep my goats warm during winter.
Do you live in a climate where it snows? If so the pallet method wouldn't really work that well. How many goats so you have? If you can locate an old chicken coop or garden shed you could just add onto that.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Do you live in a climate where it snows? If so the pallet method wouldn't really work that well.
I beg to differ. The pallet method of creating shelters has been used many, many times right here in Wyoming where the snow can get damn deep!

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
This is the house I have for them should I insulate it some how

View attachment 43655
You can if you want to. I have found that old carpet tacked up with nails on the inside makes for some really good insulation.

Just thought of option #7 - an old chest type freezer with a hole cut in it makes a good shelter and play toy both. Again, do not put it next to a fence as the goats will jump on top and go over the fence. A friend of mine learned that one the hard way. :laugh:

·
Goat Owner
76 Posts
With the pallet shelter, I have also made them into a clapboard style by placing a board torn from another pallet over the gaps. This can work well but does take more time than just placing plywood or tin over the sides.

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,329 Posts
Hey, that one with the wheels is nifty! That would be great if you want to rotate pastures.

·
Banned
988 Posts
I have a shelter like one that GoatCrazy mentioned. I have 4 16ft cattle panels bowed over with a tarp covering it also used 10 t-post to tie the panels at the bottom to keep their form. This is the second year I have used one an since my goat herd has grown I just added to it. Works great except my goats only use it when its raining, when they use it for a wind block they lay on the outside of it, an don't even use it of a night. The great thing about this kind of shelter is it takes no time to put one up.

I also have a pallet shelter with cattle panels an a tarp for the roof. I used tin on it to help keep the drafts at bay, again the goats only use it when its raining.

·
Banned
850 Posts
I just bought a couple of PolyDomes in October and I couldn't be more pleased. They are eight feet in diameter and five feet high, which is just enough to keep the goats from jumping on the roof (although it doesn't hurt if they do). I paid $275 apiece for them which is not cheap, but considering the price of plywood and other materials these days, it's also not bad. Also, I'm guessing these will last, much, much longer than anything I could build, and they are extremely easy to move around (you just roll them!). My goats love them. They are very bright and cheery inside, and the round shape helps prevent anyone getting pummeled in a corner. I like that there is a sill in the doorway about a foot high. This helps keep wind and snow from blowing in and bedding from spilling out. I wrote a thread about my acquisition on the old pack goat forums here if you're interested.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts